UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2015, 9:30 pm   #1
phimargin
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy No vertical deflection, Ch 1 Tek 475

Just turned on my Tek 475 (worked a few hours ago).

On channel 1: The V position control has no effect and no vertical response from the probe. The sweep/trace is good.

Is this likely to be a PSU problem?

(Channel 2 is O.K.)
Old 14th Oct 2015, 10:14 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: No vertical deflection, Ch 1 Tek 475

It is unlikely to be a power supply problem. The same power supply rails are shared between the two channels.

One possibility is a dirty switch contact in the channel selection switches. It could be some local power supply decoupling network (not shared between channels)

Otherwise, it's time to get in there with a manual and a second scope.

David
Old 15th Oct 2015, 9:43 am   #3
RogerEvans
Hexode

Since channel 2 is working OK you could connect the calibrator output to channel 1, display channel 2 and probe around the channel 1 amplifier to see where the signal on channel 1 disappears. If the channel 1 signal gets as far as U370, the channel switch then check the switching signals into that chip (with a multimeter, not the scope itself). If it looks like one of the Tektronix custom ICs at fault try removing, cleaning and replacing before buying another.

If you have another scope it is a lot easier!

Roger
Old 15th Oct 2015, 12:17 pm   #4
phimargin
Retired Dormant Member

Agreed David, I only realised about the shared supplies after making the post.
"a dirty switch contact in the channel selection switches" sounds a promising idea.

Roger, good idea for further probing, definitely logical to use calibrator to Ch 1 input etc.

I'd really do with some less smudgy circuit diagrams than the scans I have.
Old 15th Oct 2015, 2:37 pm   #5
phimargin
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: No vertical deflection, Ch 1 Tek 475

Thanks again Roger

Whilst I had vaguely wondered about using Ch 2 for troubleshooting, your specific & very practical suggestion really helped me.

The culprit was Q184, which looks like it might supply the tail current for a differential pair.

I swapped in the matching good transistor from Ch2, and Ch1 burst into life. Fortunately the transistor was a 2N3906, so not hard to replace.

I'm not sure how it could have failed though, it wouldn't be the 'whiskering' effect seen on very old types.

Regards
Stephen.
Old 15th Oct 2015, 2:46 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

Well done.
I had a fault like that in a different model of Tek scope in the time base plug in so it was well away from the incoming signal.
Old 15th Oct 2015, 3:24 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Plastic moulded transistors have shown a few internal corrosion related slow failures,

Anyway, a success!

David
Old 15th Oct 2015, 3:30 pm   #8
Leon Crampin
Octode

Plastic encapsulated small signal transistors are failing frequently now in Tek equipment - the Fairchild devices with a blob of epoxy on the top are the worst. Moisture ingress is the most likely cause, sometimes with consequent internal metal migration.

These were never claimed to be truly hermetic devices (metal can versions are available), but I think the excellent design, documentation and in some cases transistor sockets provided by Tek have proved their worth.

After all these years, there is little doubt that they made and documented about the best equipment available. Hats off to the engineers.

Leon.
Old 15th Oct 2015, 3:31 pm   #9
Leon Crampin
Octode

(Simultaneous post with David).
Old 16th Oct 2015, 4:15 pm   #10
phimargin
Retired Dormant Member

"failing frequently now in Tek equipment" - interesting, do you have a good link for more info?

The actual part is a NatSemi device.
Old 16th Oct 2015, 6:16 pm   #11
Leon Crampin
Octode

No published link, but several of my Tek scopes are failing with random faults - as is to be reasonably expected. By far the majority of faults are caused by defective plastic encapsulated small signal devices. The circuit design is good, so failures can be anywhere, but 7000 series power supplies seem to have more than their fair share of small signal device failures - possibly due also to exposure to transients.

It's worth noting that when "our" Tek scopes were made, plastic encapsulated power devices such as the TO-220 had not appeared on the market. Consequently, any device of TO-5 size and above was hermetic in a Tek scope. These hardly ever fail - and the TO-66 and TO-3 devices also soldier on.

Leon.
Old 23rd Oct 2015, 1:45 pm   #12
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

the 7000 series like to have bad tantals, and defective transistors are oftenly a follower of that problem. I like to replace them, a lot of work

greetings
Martin
Closed Thread