UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Apr 2018, 3:39 pm   #41
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Argosy 1950s Valve Record Player Buzzing issues

The UY85 is spec'd as being OK up to 100uF http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/uy85.pdf. Since the rectification is only half-wave you might well need a good-sized reservoir cap to keep the hum amplitude down. Then again it's less audible at 50Hz (half-wave) than it would be at 100Hz (full-wave). To cap it all the tolerance on electrolytic caps is very wide. I suspect that there's a lot of overlap between the tolerance bands of 40uF and 50uF ones.

EDIT A 50uF + 50uF does indeed have a reservoir and a smoother inside it. They share a common negative (0V) terminal, as the original will do too. Before you place the order just check the physical sizes. Modern eletrolytics are typically smaller than old ones, but not absolutely always.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 4:29 pm   #42
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
The UY85 is spec'd as being OK up to 100uF http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/uy85.pdf. Since the rectification is only half-wave you might well need a good-sized reservoir cap to keep the hum amplitude down. Then again it's less audible at 50Hz (half-wave) than it would be at 100Hz (full-wave). To cap it all the tolerance on electrolytic caps is very wide. I suspect that there's a lot of overlap between the tolerance bands of 40uF and 50uF ones.

EDIT A 50uF + 50uF does indeed have a reservoir and a smoother inside it. They share a common negative (0V) terminal, as the original will do too. Before you place the order just check the physical sizes. Modern eletrolytics are typically smaller than old ones, but not absolutely always.

Cheers,

GJ
Another thing I'm thinking is as a few members have told me that it doesn't have the original TC8 Mono cartridge installed and instead has a later stereo cartridge. So I'm wondering if I bought an original TC8 cartridge/stylus if it would run louder at lower volume and I wouldn't need the volume as high to hear it which would also eliminate the hum.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 4:37 pm   #43
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

You will be lucky to find an original TC8 which still works, and, even if you do, Stereo records should not be played with a TC8 or any other Mono Cartridge, except those specified as being stereo-compatible. I would keep the cartridge currently fitted.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 4:48 pm   #44
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
You will be lucky to find an original TC8 which still works, and, even if you do, Stereo records should not be played with a TC8 or any other Mono Cartridge, except those specified as being stereo-compatible. I would keep the cartridge currently fitted.
Found one on ebay in about 30 seconds lol. Its new old stock a TC8H for £35, it includes the complete kit, mounting bracket, mounting screw and tags along with stylus for 78's and 45's.

I only really play older 45's anyway I have my Toshiba SM3750 for newer stuff like LP's
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 4:59 pm   #45
Ryan_1993
Hexode

right well I've ordered the 50 + 50 uF to replace mine, which was 40 40 uF at 300 volts, it seemed the closest thing.

Anyone know where to get the cathode bypass capacitor? Is this the thing what's on the board between the two valves? It's small light brown in colour? attached and circled in picture

Literally once I get the right parts I know I can easily remove the old ones and solder the new ones on, thats going to be easy. It's just finding the right stuff on something this old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	161662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 17.06.05.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	161663  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 23rd Apr 2018 at 5:08 pm.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:12 pm   #46
Station X

The circled part is a resistor, not a capacitor. It's much more likely that the cathode bypass capacitor is the one labelled Plessey. Check the writing on it.

You'll probably have to use a 47uF 25V unit as a replacement.

Assuming it's axially leaded:-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/alumi...itors/3245161/

Remember it's polarised.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:17 pm   #47
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If the 40 + 40 capacitor you are removing did not also contain the cathode cap, then you are OK as is. Many of these record player caps contained up to 3 caps values of different values inside. You were very lucky to get a TC8H (it must be H) for £35.00. It will allow this basic amp to play loud and not having to run it at full volume will lower any residual hum. Remember only play 78s, 45s and MONO LP on this.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:19 pm   #48
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
The circled part is a resistor, not a capacitor. It's much more likely that the cathode bypass capacitor is the one labelled Plessey. Check the writing on it.

Remember it's polarised.
Something like this then? http://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-elec...73390000107578

Tbh I think I'll just replace the big cap for now and see how it goes.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:21 pm   #49
Station X

That's a radial cap. You'll have to check what's fitted.

It's entirely up to you where you buy stuff from. I just made a suggestion assuming the component had axial leads.

Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:25 pm   #50
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
Quote:

Remember it's polarised.

Yes, but have you actually checked that there are only two caps in that can?

Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:30 pm   #51
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
If the 40 + 40 capacitor you are removing did not also contain the cathode cap, then you are OK as is. Many of these record player caps contained up to 3 caps values of different values inside. You were very lucky to get a TC8H (it must be H) for £35.00. It will allow this basic amp to play loud and not having to run it at full volume will lower any residual hum. Remember only play 78s, 45s and MONO LP on this.
Hi Ed, according to another member the Cathode cap seems to be separate on my amp board. There is a small metal cap near the main big cap marked Plessy, Apparently this is the Cathode cap?

This was the Stylus I ordered as well. If the stylus fixes the issue i might return the capacitor for now. The stylus definitely looks much easier to install and hook up. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112771172043 As of now the volume has to go about three quarters of the way up to hear anything so it definitely seems like some low output aftermarket alternative.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 17.06.05.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	161665  
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:39 pm   #52
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
Quote:

Remember it's polarised.

Yes, but have you actually checked that there are only two caps in that can?
I tried to take the metal cover off earlier, but its solid. It feels like its just going to snap off the board unfortunately.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 5:54 pm   #53
Station X

You don't need to dismantle the smoothing can to determine what's inside it. It will be written on the outside of the can.

Alternatively check how many tags it has. One tag or tags will be the common point and may or may not be connected to the actual can. Each of the other tags will be connected to an individual capacitor within the can.

Old 23rd Apr 2018, 6:10 pm   #54
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I just can't see enough detail on that small cap to confirm. It could well be the cathode cap. A modern replacement will look different. Don't replace this just yet, wait until your new cartirdge is installed and then see how it runs. BTW I think I've located the cartridge you have bought. This does not look like an orignal BSR TC8H, but looks like a modern copy, probably made in China. Let us know how you get on with this - if it works well, it will help other restorers to know this.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 6:48 pm   #55
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
You don't need to dismantle the smoothing can to determine what's inside it. It will be written on the outside of the can.

Alternatively check how many tags it has. One tag or tags will be the common point and may or may not be connected to the actual can. Each of the other tags will be connected to an individual capacitor within the can.
Think what I’ll do for now is install the original stylus TC8H back onto it. I’ve just ordered a new old stock one. If that doesn’t fix the issue fully. I’m hoping it will, as it will work better at lower volume, then I’ll look at the caps and fit the one I’ve ordered.

Literally for casual listening the volume has to be 3 quarters the way up. Even as far as it will turn isn’t really that loud overall. If you only turn it half a turn and you can’t even hear anything either.

I have done a few more videos of the buzz and record playing. I don’t know if Im just being pedantic though and asking too much for such a primitive record system lol.

https://youtu.be/hnDJBobWc-o

https://youtu.be/XIa2hNjcd7A

Cheers for all the help everyone

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 23rd Apr 2018 at 6:57 pm.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 7:21 pm   #56
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I also think you may need to adjust the pick up set down position as it seemed to start to play as soon as it landed on that 45.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 8:31 pm   #57
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
I just can't see enough detail on that small cap to confirm. It could well be the cathode cap. A modern replacement will look different. Don't replace this just yet, wait until your new cartirdge is installed and then see how it runs. BTW I think I've located the cartridge you have bought. This does not look like an orignal BSR TC8H, but looks like a modern copy, probably made in China. Let us know how you get on with this - if it works well, it will help other restorers to know this.
Oh I’m not sure if it's fake, it's listed as new old stock and has 6 feedback reviews all positive. I’m hoping it works out fine.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 9:01 pm   #58
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
I also think you may need to adjust the pick up set down position as it seemed to start to play as soon as it landed on that 45.
Yeah that's already done. I adjusted the screw under the tone arm and got it spot on. Tha'ts all sorted. Also noticed that the current stylus on close inspection is slightly bent to one side so that can’t be helping high frequencies. Can’t wait for the replacement to arrive

My 45's like most people's are in pretty bad condition. They belonged to my mum and grandma so they never really treated them very well they always skipped really bad on my Toshiba turntable, this plays unit them fine though. I also have quite a lot of mono pressing on LP’s too, some I never even knew about. Including the Goon Show, the soundtrack to Camelot and the soundtrack to West Side Story.

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 23rd Apr 2018 at 9:09 pm.
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 9:35 pm   #59
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Really digging my little vintage area now. Loving the contrast of my 80s and 90s stuff along with my more retro gear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8ED3B133-C9DA-4D6E-8249-E3E6D5648989.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	161680  
Old 24th Apr 2018, 9:19 am   #60
Ryan_1993
Hexode

For anyone curious this was the TC8 H cartridge I ordered. Apparently new old stock, will be nice to get the originality of the turntable back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8EB035C9-6671-4F0F-BBD9-06C2E2210FA1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	161687  
Closed Thread