UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2017, 5:27 pm   #21
radioredcat
Hexode

Default Re: DX TV 1st viewing for 2017

Band 1 has been quiet today until now strong carrier with video at times 49.739 and it's Russia 1.
49.750 has also appeared now .

Andy
Old 5th Jun 2017, 11:06 pm   #22
1955APREN
Hexode

Also seen this opening but later in the evening from 19:45 utc to 20:05 weak locked pic but pattering. I think this was russia as aerial was peaking from the north.
Old 6th Jun 2017, 2:15 pm   #23
SteveCG
Nonode

5th of June,

Like Andy a little R1 (ie 49.75 Mc/s and not the name of the TV channel Russia 1) with -ve carrier offset in the late afternoon.

BTW, my wideband 'H' points East-South-East (ESE), so if this DX is coming from the North I'll not be so sensitive to it.
Old 6th Jun 2017, 10:10 pm   #24
radioredcat
Hexode

49.75 will probably be 1 TV from St Petersburg 149 kw but the logo not easy to see as it is a transparent 1 in the right top corner.
Russia 1 logo is easy to see as it is white with Россия-1 another common is Telekanal 1+1 that is also hard to see as it's transparent 1+1 in top right corner also 5 Kanal is easy to see a 5 in top right corner.

We use a site FMlist for looking up frequencies for TV/FM/DAB and use this for logging DX a very useful tool for Dxing.
We also use this llist compiled by a German DXer for band 1 TV.

http://www.fmlist.org/ul_login.php?sprache=en

http://dx.3sdesign.de/Band1-Offsets.htm

This is my band 1 aerial I bought from Southwest aerials in 1980 mounted 4 M high at the back of the house facing facing East.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2541.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	144059

Andy
Old 7th Jun 2017, 12:49 pm   #25
SteveCG
Nonode

Re post no. 23:

Ooops I made a mistake - the aerial is pointed East-North-East (ENE).

Andy, you may be interested to know that my Wideband 'H' is closely based on Roger Bunney's design of which you have the wideband dipole version. Of all the aerials I have tried over the years for wideband DX it has been hard to better.

By the way, I'm not sure at all that these residual DX signals are from nearby Russia (much further away in the heart of Russia more likely). I remember well receiving those years ago at much higher signal strengths - using the same aerial in the same location as now - and the cable and connections to the dipole are fine.

Last edited by SteveCG; 7th Jun 2017 at 12:50 pm. Reason: added comment
Old 7th Jun 2017, 9:56 pm   #26
radioredcat
Hexode

Hi Steve my band 1 aerial works fine on R1/2 but but not so good on R3/4 as would be expected I have received Jordan in colour on it on E 3.

Today there has been a lot activity on band 1 and I received Russia 1 from Kirov 3217 km on 49.740.855 the only TX listed on that frequency so that is deep into Russia as you said in your last post it does happen.
I do FM-DX as well as band 1 and received 1 TV sound on 91.75 from Kaliningrad on my FM tuner which is the R4 sound channel .

Most of this afternoon there was a mess of pictures on R1/2 as it's better when there is only one signal in at the time.

It was a slow start to this Es season but since 30/05/17 it's been buzzing and hope it continues.

Andy
Old 8th Jun 2017, 1:35 pm   #27
SteveCG
Nonode

7th of June: Briefly listened out at about 6:30 to 7 PM (BST) and checked again at 8 PM. It's been the strongest SpE on R1 and R2 yet this year. Pictures on both R1 and R2 but with different content. Too much interference from 50 Mc/s radio-amateur activity and suspected other sources (computers/PVRs etc) to get clear enough picture on R1 to identify.

8th of June: Again, noticable R1 ( +ve, 0 and-ve offsets) this morning with occasional R2.
Old 9th Jun 2017, 10:40 am   #28
linescan87
Heptode

Hi all,

With all this talk of DX I thought I'd have a go myself, so yesterday afternoon I lashed up a quick dipole out of wire cable tied to an inch square baton. The legs were about 4.5 feet, block connector in the middle to coax mounted about 5 meters above ground.

I didn't really hold out much hope but I was not to be disappointed, after about 10mins I noticed something on the screen, I believe it was Russia 1. Looked like some sort of chat show. This was between 16.10 and 16.30. It did not return after that.

This lasted about 20 mins fading in and out but quite strong at times.

My first time TV dxing, what have I been missing all these years? It was also nice to see a set working off an aerial as it should once more.

Cheers,
John Joe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20170608-WA0011.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	144194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20170608-WA0010.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	144195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20170608-WA0006.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	144196  
Old 9th Jun 2017, 11:16 am   #29
SteveCG
Nonode

Good results there John Joe.

Yesterday R1 still going at 9:45 PM (BST) - quite remarkable, I've not had DX that late in the evening for many, many years.

This morning (the 9th) R1 again, still there just before posting this.

We must have quite an active Sun surface.

Last edited by SteveCG; 9th Jun 2017 at 11:16 am. Reason: give correct name
Old 9th Jun 2017, 11:02 pm   #30
1955APREN
Hexode

Not spent much time today but a quick try at 17:00 utc
saw very weak ch4 62.25 but fadied very quickly
Joe thats a good catch . Could I ask what make of set are using
Regards Derrick
Old 10th Jun 2017, 3:10 pm   #31
linescan87
Heptode

Hi Steve, think I was just Lucky given the Heath Robinson approach and all, but it is very encouraging.

Thanks Derrick, the set is a generic Korean import from the 80's this one is badged "gold star".

Cheers,
John Joe.
Old 10th Jun 2017, 4:54 pm   #32
radioredcat
Hexode

Well done Joe you have shown how easy it is to knock up an aerial for band 1 and very good pictures there.

Andy
Old 10th Jun 2017, 4:58 pm   #33
radioredcat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
Good results there John Joe.

Yesterday R1 still going at 9:45 PM (BST) - quite remarkable, I've not had DX that late in the evening for many, many years.
Wednesday/Thursday band 1 carriers still going at 23:30 when I retired to bed and a long time since I saw band 1 so late.

Andy
Old 14th Jun 2017, 12:55 pm   #34
SteveCG
Nonode

Mid morning today I was receiving some activity on R1 video carrier after a few days of nothing.

However perhaps others can help on this: On a frequency of 50.275 Mc/s, AM modulation, I can pick-up what sounds like random tones. It reminds me of touch-tone telephone sounds but I'm not certain about that. What happens is that the carrier goes on, you hear the tones and then the carrier goes off. This often reveals other weaker versions of this signalling. I think it is SpE propagation as most times there is just Cosmic Noise on this frequency. Clearly wherever it comes from can't be using R1 TV as the frequency is in the R1 pass-band.

Any knowledge of this anybody?

By the way, if you listen to it for too long you are likely to end up in the funny farm! It reminds me of some avant-garde Aleatoric music that Pierre Boulez would be proud of.
Old 14th Jun 2017, 3:21 pm   #35
cmjones01
Nonode

Random tones on band I are probably paging signals, at a guess. While looking for examples of pager signals, I came across this page:

http://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Database

which is quite nice for identifying mystery noises.

Chris
Old 14th Jun 2017, 9:22 pm   #36
mark_in_manc
Octode

Wow.

Unlike many people on this forum, this is a world I know nothing about at all. It reminds me of being a kid and messing with my granddad's 'big radio' on 'marine band', early 80s, and hearing morse (?) which just went on, and on, and on with the same character(s). It freaked me out.

Before the web, how did you folks find each other, discuss these things, learn something? What led you to seek out a club etc?

On listening to some of those signals my girls (9 and 12) just went from taking the mick to going wide-eyed and noticing that there are a ****-load of things in the world of which they are completely ignorant. I could only tell them that that feeling just gets worse.
Old 14th Jun 2017, 9:42 pm   #37
radioredcat
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
Mid morning today I was receiving some activity on R1 video carrier after a few days of nothing.

However perhaps others can help on this: On a frequency of 50.275 Mc/s, AM modulation, I can pick-up what sounds like random tones. It reminds me of touch-tone telephone sounds but I'm not certain about that. What happens is that the carrier goes on, you hear the tones and then the carrier goes off. This often reveals other weaker versions of this signalling. I think it is SpE propagation as most times there is just Cosmic Noise on this frequency. Clearly wherever it comes from can't be using R1 TV as the frequency is in the R1 pass-band.

Any knowledge of this anybody?

By the way, if you listen to it for too long you are likely to end up in the funny farm! It reminds me of some avant-garde Aleatoric music that Pierre Boulez would be proud of.
Band 1 here has loads of tones and machine guns well that's what some of them sound like as I have a PMR station 1 km away on top of the hill here but 50.275 is in the 6 M ham band so it's in the beacon part of the band so I think that's what you heard a good indicator of propagation.

Usually beacons are constant tone breaking into morse for ID and back to constant tone again.

Band 1 has been quiet for a few days until today and I had 1 TV St Petersburg which was a brief opening.

Andy
Old 15th Jun 2017, 3:03 pm   #38
SteveCG
Nonode

Well, yesterday evening (around 7 to 8 PM ) I was picking up some low level activity on R1 (0 and -ve offset) and also those 'funny tones' on 50.275 Mc/s again. I reiterate that it is not a constant tone, rather it sounds like somebody is randomly typing of a touch-tone telephone. It could be a pager of some sort - but its RF signal level varies just like SpE so I am now convinced it is not local to me.

And again this morning (6 to 8 AM) low-level R1 and also the 50.275 Mc/s signals.

Mysterious. I had half thought a day or two ago 'was it a beacon on an earth orbit satellite (or constellation of satellites)?' but its RF rise and fade pattern does not seem like it to me.

We must be right in the middle of the classic SpE season by now.
Old 15th Jun 2017, 9:36 pm   #39
radioredcat
Hexode

Hi Steve sorry got my frequencies mixed up on 50.275 they have digital mode on that frequency which yes sounds like a touch phone I should have known when you mentioned that sorry for the confusion.

Today there has been band 1 activity just seen Russia 1 on 49.757 from Glubokoye.

Andy
Old 16th Jun 2017, 11:08 am   #40
SteveCG
Nonode

This morning, 16th of June:

After weak R1 and also 50.275 Mc/s (though not necessarily at the same time) during the morning a sudden jump in activity at 10:30 AM (BST). R1 and R2, pictures and sound (Russian Language) on both.
Closed Thread