UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2017, 7:20 pm   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default A77 EOT problems

Hi all, I'm having having a problem with my A77 end of tape sensor. It's not working and I'm confused as to why. I've checked the voltages on the sensor (28mV uncovered, 45mV covered). I've cleaned the relays on the board. One of the Rifa caps had blown and taken out a resistor with it. I've now changed all the Rifa caps and the blown resistor. I've checked the transistors and the diodes and all seems ok there. So, what else should I be looking for. The machine runs, records and plays perfectly apart from that.
Any pointers and advice would be most welcome.
Old 5th Aug 2017, 11:20 pm   #2
monaro0162
Pentode

Default Re: A77 EOT problems

Is the dummy plug in?
Is the bulb lit?
I had to diagnose a similar fault recently, according to my notes I had much higher voltages of 27v across LDR R155 with the sensor covered, and 10v with it uncovered.
+27v rail present? Can be checked via pin 13 of relay A and B, or pin 14 relay C.
Old 6th Aug 2017, 9:50 am   #3
Humber888
Heptode

Default Re: A77 EOT problems

If all the above are OK, it is worth checking the resistance of the LDR both in light and darkness. I can't remember the figures offhand, but I seem to remember that you should be able to get the resistance down to a couple of kOhms when well lit. The LDR leads are push-fit to the PCB, so can easily be disconnected and a multimeter used to check the resistance swing. These LDRs can degrade over time and not provide a low enough 'lit' resistance to trigger the stop circuit. It is possible to tweak the other fixed resistors in that part of the circuit if the LDR is marginal.
Closed Thread