UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2020, 10:55 am   #1
Ronners
Pentode

Default PYE 15A on / off switch

Hi Every one I have just brought an old PYE 15A back to life by changing the old wax caps and valves, working great now but for one small problem the on/off switch won't always work but if I give it a good spray with PMA electrical cleaner leave for a few minutes it will work fine till next time any ideas?
Old 29th Nov 2020, 10:59 am   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: PYE 15A on / off switch

Is it clicking ok but not making contact? Mick.
Old 29th Nov 2020, 11:13 am   #3
newlite4
Octode

I had this same problem with a very similar PyeP28. I got around the problem by fixing a miniature microswitch to the switch frame and using the remaining paddle of the original switch assembly to actuate it.
Neil
Old 29th Nov 2020, 11:24 am   #4
Ronners
Pentode

Thanks for your reply's Mick & Neil Yes its clicking very positive Mick as I say if I give it a good spray it works fine will play all day long till I switch off and back on then nothing. I may well go down the micro switch route if there is no other way thanks for that Neil.
Old 29th Nov 2020, 12:28 pm   #5
stitch1
Heptode

I had a similar problem with mine, as it's part of the tone control I've not found a suitable replacement so I've bypassed the switch and instead have an external switch on the mains input, until a suitable replacement turns up.

John
Old 29th Nov 2020, 1:44 pm   #6
Stuart R
Heptode

I had something similar on the Strad PW461 that was on my kitchen table for weeks.

A dead set due to an open circuit (single pole) mains switch, that still had a positive click.

I took measurements and noted the position of all wires in preparation for drilling-out the rivets of the switch to examine/clean the contacts, or worst case, appealing for a replacement unit.

I had also fitted the new mains cable into the back of the switch. When soldering this I noticed the terminal's solder tag seemed a bit loose on its rivet.

Cleaned up around the rivet and ran a thin bead of solder carefully between that and the tag. Not sure if it was this solder that did the job or just the heat of attaching a news mains lead, but the power switch worked well ever since.

Can't guarantee it's a method, but may be worth a go?

Regards,

SR
Old 29th Nov 2020, 2:44 pm   #7
Ronners
Pentode

Thanks John & Stewart couple of tips to try there. Best regards Ron H.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 3:46 pm   #8
cathoderay57
Nonode

If it is a combined potentiometer with switch, and you are feeling brave, then it is usually possible to separate the 2 halves of the assembly as described here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&postcount=36

Sometimes the 2 halves are held together by 3 bent metal tabs, in which case the above tip will often work. However, if rivets are used then you would have no choice other than to drill out the rivets and replace them with small screws and nuts. Screws with shallow enough heads are hard to find but will probably be necessary to avoid fouling the pot wiper. Self tappers are unlikely to work. Jerry
Old 30th Nov 2020, 5:06 pm   #9
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
If it is a combined potentiometer with switch, and you are feeling brave, then it is usually possible to separate the 2 halves of the assembly as described here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...0&postcount=36

Sometimes the 2 halves are held together by 3 bent metal tabs, in which case the above tip will often work. However, if rivets are used then you would have no choice other than to drill out the rivets and replace them with small screws and nuts. Screws with shallow enough heads are hard to find but will probably be necessary to avoid fouling the pot wiper. Self tappers are unlikely to work. Jerry
But if it does have tags, and you're unbending them, do so very gently. They are usually quite soft/brittle metal, and can just break off completely if harshly handled. I'd suggest gently prising the bent-over bits away from the body with a fine screwdriver blade, and then gently straightening out the bends with pressure between the jaws of a pair of pointy pliers.

Mike
Closed Thread