UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Dec 2018, 4:22 pm   #1
onewatt
Hexode

Default Magneta master clock model No:37 dial not moving

Hi All,
Seasons Greetings!

My Magneta master clock has decided to pack up providing the minute pulse (It only has minutes)
It has a dirty dial supply, a unregulated dc supply from a transformer and rectifier only (I apologise for that)
It's been working fine up to now. The minute pulse has 3 connections, Common, NC & NO which appears different to any wiring circuits I've managed to find.
I can manually open the NC contact and the dial moves by a pulse, but not when the pulse wheel opens the contact.
Has anyone any suggestions.

ATB
Chris
G1rpo
PS: I'll build a better supply.

Nothings too big or too heavy, otherwise it wouldn't be where it is!
Old 26th Dec 2018, 5:07 pm   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Magneta master clock model No:37 dial not moving

Chris, as it's been working up until now and manually moving the contacts works, I wouldn't worry about the supply until you've got it working again. It does sound like a mechanical problem with the contacts, so I'd take them apart and make sure everything is clean and free to move.

Andy
Old 26th Dec 2018, 8:01 pm   #3

Mine only has NO a contact for the dial but the NO contact has an NC (make before break) associated with it for arc suppression. They are very tolerant of PSU voltage and ripple no apologises needed, in fact an open circuit 24 ish volts PSU is probably ideal, you only need near full volts to get the movement going (mines 24V and happy with 18V of lead acid float charged) . Is the dial two wire?

Old 26th Dec 2018, 8:02 pm   #4

Error, mines 20V.

Old 1st Jan 2019, 11:19 am   #5
onewatt
Hexode

Hi,
Thanks Andy & Merlin. Seasonal refreshment of visitors has delayed further work at the moment, but going to have another delve this evening.
OK, I feel a bit better about the supply now. I think your right about the arc suppression.
Yes dial is 2 wire.
I am assuming the pulse is energising the dial (positive) rather than a negative pulse? the reason I ask, is that I can hear a hum from the dial when I switch the power on ( 1st thing I'll do when I get back on it is check with a meter)
Best wishes for the new year.
Regards
Chris

Nothings too big or too heavy, otherwise it wouldn't be where it is!
Closed Thread