UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2019, 10:19 pm   #1
James Mac
Retired Dormant Member

Default Wharfedale W3 floor standing speakers require attention. Help pls....

Hi, I am a complete novice and have been gifted a pair of W3s which sound incredible except for some crackling in the right side speaker at low volume. I'm using a modern Arcam alpha 8 amp and CD player but at low volume. This setup has powered these speakers for a few problem free years. Can anybody advise me on a course of action?
Thanks. James
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:17 am   #2
snowman_al
Octode

Default Re: Wharfedale W3 floor standing speakers require attention. Help pls....

Hi James,
Nice gift!

First make sure the speaker is the problem.
Swap the right and left speaker connections round at the amplifier.
If the crackle moves to the left then the amplifier/source is the problem.
If the crackle stays on the right side, the speaker is the problem.

Sadly there are a few problems with the foam suspension on certain versions of the drivers in the W3s. Best post some pictures to help from there.
Alan