UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:26 pm   #1
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Default Building a tube amp without knowlege

Hi! I have an idea what might be stupid.I want to build a tube amp by this tutorial; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XtvhF23jLjEpOC This is my top Youtube guy (i am in love with Marantz)
I started to write a local company in metal construction with the question if they can build it for a friendly price.The box i mean.I just don't have any gear to make this so i decided to not invest in it.

You think this project has a life or you think i should quit now,while i can
I am a newbee to electronics.I think i can do it.I am aware of the danger playing with high voltages.

Let me know,do or don't
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:10 pm   #2
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Default Re: Building a tube amp without knowlege

Better to try and fail, than not try at all.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:18 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

A quick scan of the video suggests it is well made and detailed but my main concern would be over safety.

You need to be 100% sure you know what you are doing and I don't think relying on a YouTube video (no matter how well made) is good enough. This amp runs from 400V and has sizeable reservoir caps - a lethal combination !

I don't know your level of proficiency but your "without knowledge" comment scares me rigid ! On that basis I would advise against attempting this project until you have built up knowledge with less dangerous projects.
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:23 pm   #4
G4YVM David
Heptode

I'm afraid I agree. I'd say do it, have a go, but do solicit some advice first...its not a case of if you get electrocuted but how you survive when you do. My knowledge by the way is still very low. We have pretty much fogotten how to behave round high voltage kit. Things like one hand only, back of the Palm, etc etc. I've been hit a few times and it's always bad. The older I get the less I really enjoy working on valves...

Good luck
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:26 pm   #5
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Hi Chris,i told i am aware of the danger and i am a beginner also.What if we make this a project and i tripple check the safety things and set the goal to 1 year of building this?

David,don't worry. I am aware of the risks.The hand in the pocket is what you first learn and i take it serious.Can i get the help to build this?
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:34 pm   #6
GrimJosef
Dekatron

You are asking us if you can complete this project but the problem is that we don't know you - you have only been a member here for a short time. So I think it would be difficult for us to give you a reliable answer. Maybe you do have the skills needed for this - careful attention to detail, willingness to ask for advice when you are not sure, patience (some people can't wait and make mistakes because they hurry too much), the right amount of caution, a convenient space in which to work, the right tools etc.

If you were based in the UK it is possible that another local forum member could meet you and give you some practical help. I see that Menno van der Veen offers some help in Holland https://www.mennovanderveen.nl/cms/i...y/lesprogramma. Unfortunately he is in the north of the country and you are in the south.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:39 pm   #7
GlowBlue
Tetrode

I don't have the money now but i want to drive this speakers
Now i don't have the money so i hope someone here steal this things

https://www.quoka.de/hifi-audio-tv-v...tsprecher.html
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:49 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The design is based on a US supply voltage of 120VAC, but I think you have 220 or 240VAC in Holland? It may be that the high AC supply could be more dangerous that the 400VCD of the HT? Both could be lethal.

If you do go ahead then try to do any testing/fault finding keeping one hand in your pocket; it's current flow across the chest and through the heart which is the most serious risk.

B
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 11:58 pm   #9
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Hi GJ,

Thanks for the reply.You are so right.I promise i do not go over one night ice.I had the patience in the past years to get debt-free,where i am now.I want help to make things happen and i am fully aware of the risks.Don't worry,its the first thing i want to learn.At a time i was playing with an amp i saw a spark going from a to b.I was lucky not be part of it.Believe me,i am aware of the dangour.The spark on the chassis was afraintning.I'm glad i stayed out of that circuit and believe me,i take safety serious now

Bazz

further on it is also explained to build it for other voltages.

If i go build it,can i get help from you in the process?I know the risks,thats clear.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:38 am   #10
GlowBlue
Tetrode

From scratch,this should be an easy project?If i tripple check the safety things can i do this?If i walk on the street my other hand is almost in my ass haha.Serious i am a beginner and i understand the reason to absolute have 1 hand away from the circuit.I don't want fight volts.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:45 am   #11
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Bazz4CQJ if i go for it it will be with the help of people like you.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:07 am   #12
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Can we build this amp together?I like to cook,can we build a real thing?
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 1:33 am   #13
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Test me 10 things i don't fall into a trap
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 2:17 am   #14
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Building a tube amp without knowlege

Hi! I'm not sure I understand that. Are you asking us to ask you 10 questions on basic valve electronics to test your knowledge?
If so, I - and probably others here - would be happy to help.

Al.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 2:58 am   #15
GlowBlue
Tetrode

No,i want to state that i am aware of the risk messing with high voltage
First i want to build a chassis.I understand your concerns me as a newbe messing with things as high voltage tubes.Thanks for that.I am aware and the tube amp is not planned for tomorrow but for comming year.Believe me,i saw a lightning going when i was messing on a amp.Before i could have thought what can happen to me?But then i saw a light going from one side to another and i emediatly understood that is a leathal spark.It was so powerfull out of nothing.I was lucky.If that spark hit me i died.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 3:06 am   #16
GlowBlue
Tetrode

As a boy in the '70 and '80 i never got electrocuted while messing with this haha ..Amazing.

laughing aferwards but believe me safety is my priority when building an amp

I won't go further in this unless someone take my hand and guide me.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 3:45 am   #17
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Whilst not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm for building a stereo valve amplifier on a tight budget, reasonably good transformers are the main cost. European ones are similar in price to Chinese ones with postage.
May I suggest you consider a class A transistor amplifier designed 50 years ago by John Linsley-Hood, which is of apparently simple design, but is OK for 10W per channel while avoiding problems with crosssover distortion and slew rate that weren't solved in class AB amplifiers until several years later, as a first project?
A search on eBay or Aliexpress for "JLH 1969" shows many kits complete with PCBs at
very reasonable prices (very much cheaper than even low quality output transformers). They will need a mains transformer (but cheaper than one for a valve amplifier), big heatsinks, but no output transformers.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 3:49 am   #18
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Thanks for the replies.i adimd i was lucky so far.But now i go build this and drive this guys with it.This is my dream! https://www.quoka.de/hifi-audio-tv-v...tsprecher.html

Imagine this with a decent tube amplifier
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 9:31 am   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi GB, why not try a simple valve amp working at say 30v with cheap valves and transformers, it can be powered in safety from a lab supply.
It will not give much output, but will show you the principles in safety. Many common valves will run at these low voltages.

Ed
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 3:38 pm   #20
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Hi Ed,

I have bought a lab power supply past week and i also have (somewhere) a Chinese building kit of a small amplifier so yes,good idea
I take the concerns on safety very serious and i go another way.On Aliexpress those kits are very cheap and good to practice.Then i go collect the parts for the amplifier i mentioned and look then for someone with experience to help me.
When i collected the parts and found someone to help me i'll let you know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3915.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	179320  
Closed Thread