UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 15th Sep 2023, 9:55 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default TV series "Mission Impossible".

hello everyone

not really a question just an observation people may enjoy

as a kid in the 70s I used to love the US TV series Mission Impossible. I tracked it down recently and watched the first episode, expecting it to be rubbish, but I have to admit I STILL enjoyed it!

For those of you not familiar with the program, the 'team' were given a impossible mission by the government, but the government would deny all involment if they got caught. Part of the opening sequence was always the leader of the group receiving a reel-to-reel tape in an envelope of background photos of the mission. the tape would be an explanation by the anonymous government man, and as he finished speaking the tape would self destruct by smoking (one assumes to hide all government involvement). and this tape dissolving became pretty much the defining memory of most people of the program

well I watched episode one, which like most new series was a bit of a pilot episode, but the funny thing was the self destructing tape wasnt yet part of the program. the leader went to a 'special' record store and asked for a very obscure record, the assistant looked nervous and passed them the record and left them to listen to it in a booth. obviously the record was the government man telling the team their mission, but at then end the record steams and dissolves and I shouted out to the missus "oh no, it'll ruin the platter mat"!!!

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
hayerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 12:55 pm   #2
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Re: TV series "Mission Impossible".

well I'm pleased to see this thread is still open.. I'm well into series 2 now, and the now familiar self destructing tape seems well entrenched now. but no! tonight the leader of the team goes to a junk shop and asks to look at 20s wind-up gramophone, I said to my wife "a bit of a throwback to series one, I bet there's a tape player in it". he opened a door in the gramophone case and pulled out a 78 that had the mission background on it, which he listened to until the mystery man said "this disc will self destruct when it reaches the final groove" which it did, in smoke

so the US govt still had access to a 78 pressing plant in 1967 eh! very amusing

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 1:25 pm   #3
Keith956
Heptode

I'm sure I recall watching it in the 1960's along with 'The Man from UNCLE' and other classics of that era.

The tape going up in smoke after some message like 'the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions' comes to mind!
Keith956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 3:48 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The Wiki article has info about the evolution of the tape scene: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missio...es)#Tape_scene
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 4:18 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It was an interesting series, with some fun things, a bit like MacGuyver in the 80s.

Of course l was also a fan of The Man From U.N.C.L.E., to the point where when doing video conference stuff in the early 2000s I would occasionally pick up a pen and say into it "Open Channel D" or similar.
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 7:20 pm   #6
woodchips
Octode

What always intrigued me was that they fixed a rubber face over someone so they looked like someone else, is this really possible?
woodchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 8:25 pm   #7
Andrew2
Nonode

We both watched the TV series when we were young and it was quite something. We're re-watching the box-set at the moment and we've reached season 6.
The first season had Steve Hill playing the boss Dan Briggs, but Hill became upset about having to work on certain days which clashed with his Jewish beliefs. He left at the end of the first season and Peter Graves played the new boss Jim Phelps for the rest of the run.
I think the earlier ones are the best. The stories went off a bit as time went on. Also the technology became less believable!
Tiny TV cameras built into brooches at a time when even the demands of a Moonshot couldn't get anything smaller than a shoe box. Tiny boards, usually filled with a couple of transistors and half a dozen passives were dangled into power control circuits while 'live' so that a radio signal from a remote unit could black out a mansion or cause a hospital to overheat.
There's one in which they had to free a prisoner from a cell which was in view of the guard, so they installed a screen and projected a film of a mock-up, behind which they worked to get the man out. And no-one noticed.
Oh, and the HUGE cars that Jim turned up in at the start of each episode. I've seen smaller ships!
The rubber masks were amazing weren't they? Absolutely lifelike and never came off or wrinkled during a fight.
All good fun if you completely suspend everything you ever learned about radio and electronics.
It ran for seven years so it was obviously a ratings success. It's a pity there are no extras on the DVD's as I'd like to hear from the directors and actors.
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 9:22 pm   #8
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

My late mother was a huge country and western fan.
She borrowed one of my cassettes of I think Raymond LeFevre & his orchestra.
A week or so later she "returned" it.
However instead of the original cassette it was some country and western little known arist.
I put it into my tape recorder and just after the last song played out, recorded "This tape will self destruct in 20 seconds."
I returned this tape and collected my own original next time I visited.

It was several weeks later she phoned me with the opening words "oh no it wont".
I asked her what she was on about?
I had completely forgotten what I had done and when I asked, she explained she had only just played it and heard my message.
Rob
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 10:47 pm   #9
Reelman
Octode

I bought a Concord Sound Camera tape recorder from the USA some time ago. It was certainly one of the models used in the TV series. On turning it on for the first time what should I hear but Lalo Shifrin’s iconic theme. The seller quite rightly assumed that I would approve.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3C8C89D-9228-4A67-99D2-E75015DF5C35.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	293494  
Reelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 11:09 pm   #10
AnalogueMan
Hexode

did anyone ever try to make a self-destructing tape during their mis-spent youth? I never did, but I always wish I had
AnalogueMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2024, 11:29 am   #11
hayerjoe
Hexode

that Wikipedia entry is very good, and it talks about the episode I watched last night. I was wrong, the 78 record didn't go up in smoke, the gramophone needle just went back and forth across the record to destroy it, it generated a bit of smoke and a strange sound fx of a car's tyres screeching!

Old 24th Feb 2024, 7:02 pm   #12
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Mat Taylor, better known as "Techmoan" did what is arguably the definitive piece on MI briefings, and the tape recorders. Like all his videos, I commend them to the Forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DNAmDYiu6k&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQfhyDP6vw&t=0s

and another follow-up as recently as 1100 GMT today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uejdf_XTBT0

Coincidence?
Graham G3ZVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2024, 7:21 pm   #13
paulsherwin

Maybe he visits the forum.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2024, 10:38 am   #14
hayerjoe
Hexode

those techmoan videos were excellent, incredibly well researched

I'm quite amazed that Mission Impossible seems to have had such an enjoyable impact on people, and I thought it was just me! Now all I want is someone to identify all the American record players used. there are so many unknown brands to us outside the US, I've not been able to identify a single one so far!

Old 25th Feb 2024, 2:27 pm   #15
Tim
Dekatron

ISTR MI was made by the same people/studio that did the original Star Trek, and the two productions were sometimes being produced simultaneously. ( I really must get out more!)

This reminds me of the bus ride to a Bristol Tech college in the late 80’s. On my journey down the Gloucester Rd I passed “ J. Golunski Tailoring”. The shop was fairly run down, and I never saw any customers either entering, leaving or in the shop itself. Some college mates and I on the same bus mused that it might be a “ Mission impossible” type shop with a secret lift in the back to an underground spy base.
Old 27th Feb 2024, 1:19 am   #16
HatOfTheCat
Tetrode

Quote:
the self destructing tape wasnt yet part of the program. the leader went to a 'special' record store and asked for a very obscure record
Obviously the producers of the modern films must have watched that one as they included it in the "Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation" one.
HatOfTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2024, 1:34 am   #17
Buzby123
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogueMan View Post
did anyone ever try to make a self-destructing tape during their mis-spent youth? I never did, but I always wish I had
'Listen very carefully, I shall say zis only once', ... I did build a self-erasing cassette tape.
Buzby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2024, 12:07 pm   #18
dglcomp
Heptode

I suppose put an erase head after the playback head and you've instantly got a self-erasing tape machine.
dglcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2024, 10:22 pm   #19
nicam49
Hexode

Freeview 41 'Legend' channel have just started screening them this week, starting with series 1 episode 1.....
nicam49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2024, 12:05 pm   #20
Richardgr
Heptode

l was a bit peeved U2 were credited with having done a great job creating the theme for the films! Maybe they should be credited by not having done much to detract from the original ;-/
Richardgr is offline   Reply With Quote