UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2017, 12:33 pm   #1
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Fuseholder - wiring of.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a correct way to wire panel mounted fuseholders.
The ones I'm talking about stick out 90 deg from said panel or chassis and are barrel shaped with the fuse sitting in a cap, that then screws into said barrel.

There are two terminals to affix wires, one on the side one on the bottom. I think the "IN", IE
from the mains live, from an IEE socket goes on the side, the "out" to the switch goes on the bottom. Is this correct?

Andy.
Old 4th Aug 2017, 12:40 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Fuseholder - wiring of.

If you mean this kind of holder: http://www.newark.com/bussmann-by-ea...unt/dp/63K9385

The live "in" goes to the bottom.

If you wire the "in" to the side, there's a chance that if your fingers happen to be overlapping the cap and touching the metal bit as you insert the fuse-and-cap into the barrel, the tip of the fuse could contact the 'side' contact in the barrel of the holder as you put it in and cause a shock.

Wiring the 'live' to the bottom-part of the holder makes this impossible.

There again, it assumes you've got the power supply incomer wired with correct polarity!
Old 4th Aug 2017, 12:54 pm   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Fuseholder - wiring of.

Thanks, that's the kiddy, that makes sense.

Andy.