UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2017, 9:23 am   #1
Voxophone
Hexode

Default TV22 mask removal

How do people usually go about separating the rubber mask from the front glass on a TV22. Mine is pretty securely glued and it feels as if the rubber might tear if I just pulled it off. Is it necessary to use anything to dissolve the glue?

Thanks

Liam
Old 20th May 2017, 11:14 am   #2
Panrock
Nonode

Default Re: TV22 mask removal

I've never had this on a TV22, but in other similar cases I have been known to gently push the rounded edge of a flexible steel rule into the gap and work it back and forth carefully. Obviously you want to ensure you don't start cutting into the rubber by accident. As you go, you can start easing the rubber away from the glass.

Others may have better methods to suggest. Wear goggles and take extreme care when doing anything with a CRT.

Steve
Old 20th May 2017, 12:44 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,
My favourite method is to use an old bank card/ credit card/ mobile phone top-up card with one edge sharpened to push between the glass an the rubber. With the card being plastic it's not likely to scratch the glass, and is safe to use on the CRT as well.

If it's the front safety glass that's stuck to the rubber only, maybe you could put in some hot water to try and soften the bond, don't know if that'll actually do anything as I've never tried it!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:22 am   #4
Voxophone
Hexode

Thanks for your suggestions. It is the front safety glass that’s stuck and not the CRT (I didn’t even know that could happen!)

Am I right in thinking from your replies that the mask isn’t supposed to be stuck to the glass? Mine definitely seems to be glued on.

Liam
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:32 am   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

No, it shouldn't be glued. What normally causes it is the rubber decomposing round the edges, it goes sticky then after a while goes hard, sticking it like glue to everything. In the TV22 the mask and glass should be held in each corner by a bracket and screw, and once these are removed the mask should lift away from the glass. It is possible that someone glued it in the past!

Regards,
Lloyd
Closed Thread