UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2018, 8:58 am   #41
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: What tool or set of tools would you not be without ?

I purchased some side cutters from a hardware place in South Wales when working away many years ago. They served me faithfully for over 20 years but I left them in the bilge compartment of a small boat I was working on and never saw them again.

I still lament their loss and have never found a pair of side cutters that 'feel right' ever since....
Old 16th Feb 2018, 10:34 am   #42
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have taken a photo of two of the circlip removal/insertion tools to which I referred in post #32 in this thread. They were supplied to service engineers by Blaupunkt 30 or more years ago, because at that time cassette mechanisms, in particular were assembled using a number of circlips, some in hard to access places. These tools came in a variety of sizes. I have 3 more somewhere, but have never seen similar tools anywhere else in more recent years. If anyone knows from where they may be obtained, I'm sure that other members would find them useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1433.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	157495  
Old 16th Feb 2018, 12:47 pm   #43
TonyDuell
Dekatron

A google search for "e-clip tool" (no quotes) finds some similar, but not identical, tools, including something from Facom that I am sure does the job well. Maybe I will order one.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 1:57 pm   #44
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

They're very much the same thing, Tony. I've always known the clips as 'circlips'. After all they go around the shaft to which they attached!
Old 16th Feb 2018, 4:52 pm   #45
Brettski
Tetrode

I have a CK pozi drive that was new when I was fitting plastic windows for a living around 25 years ago. When I finished, the screwdriver came with me. Its been used for nearly all Philips/ Pozi jobs and I cant live without it.
It seems perfect for even undoing the little screws from Roberts Aerial bases, even when they are totally chewed up.

Also I have a Fatmax driver that holds the screw onto the driver. Its really good and can recommend this to anyone. Especially if magnetized screwdrivers are an issue.
Old 16th Feb 2018, 5:06 pm   #46
Wendymott
Octode

Although its not "old" as in 20th century..well it might be... but my illuminated bench magnifier..long gone is the "flu" tube.. replaced with leds..... then these leds have just been replaced for bluer white, as the original ones had gone yellowish.. eyes not what they were.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 20th Feb 2018, 4:18 pm   #47
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Did you not try cleaning them Wendy?
I had the same thing happen to my home-built bench lamp (6x 1 watt LEDs mounted inside a tobacco tin on an old Anglepoise fitting). After about 5 years they turned a yellowish hue, presumably through solder flux fumes. A quick wash over with a little hot bleach solution brought them up a treat!
Still doesn't cure the dodgy eyesight problem, though Tony.
Old 20th Feb 2018, 6:11 pm   #48
its ur aerial
Hexode

The type old Weller soldering Gun, would be on my list.
Old 21st Feb 2018, 3:52 am   #49
usradcoll1
Heptode

I've been using a Weller soldering gun for over 60 years now. The newer production guns use a poor arrangement for fastening the tip using set screws instead of the special nuts of the earlier models. The only ones in my possession are the older models with the tip nuts.
I really would hate to be without one.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 7:00 am   #50
FrankB
Heptode

Best answer is my mind, (or what's left of it), and a good magnifying glass of 3 different power levels, and a wooden chopstick to poke & prod with.
Closed Thread