UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2017, 8:44 am   #21
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC Master boot

On my Master (and BBC "B"s), SHIFT-2 is double-quote. What is it on yours?

I'll grant that SHIFT-8 and -9 being left and right parentheses, rather than the PC's -9 and -0, feels odd these days.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 1:01 pm   #22
paulsherwin

I took no special precautions with the ROM cartridges, and while they won't have been exposed to bright sunlight in my possession, they haven't been stored in total darkness either. I obviously have no idea how they were stored before I got them, so I would assume the worst. Could you get them reflashed?
Old 31st Dec 2017, 1:24 pm   #23
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
On my Master (and BBC "B"s), SHIFT-2 is double-quote.
Sorry, I got that wrong! I am used to shift 2 being an at sign, not a quotation mark. Still, it isn't like I'll be doing much coding or anything on the BBC so I think I'll cope

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Could you get them reflashed?
I am sure I could organise something if required - learning to use a programmer probably wouldn't be a bad thing with the other less common vintage hardware I have kicking around. I am just not sure what should be on them - if they were a standard thing to have or not, and what those other ROMs could be.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 1:41 pm   #24
mhennessy
Dekatron

Did you remember a series diode? The original cells were rechargeable, so are trickle-charged when the machine is on.

Most sources recommend including a series resistor as well (I use 150 ohms), but I'm not sure how necessary that really is. I usually fit both of these in the unused space of a 4AA battery holder.
Old 31st Dec 2017, 1:50 pm   #25
paulsherwin

The ROMs normally held an application such as a word processor or a game (I vaguely remember that Ramrod was a game). One common ROM was a VT100 terminal emulator.

Lots of Beebs in schools didn't have floppy drives and did everything with ROM cartridges.
Old 1st Jan 2018, 11:34 pm   #26
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
Did you remember a series diode? The original cells were rechargeable, so are trickle-charged when the machine is on.
I used the original diode and resistor from the Acorn pack - it's soldered into the fourth position on the 4xAAA holder.
Old 1st Jan 2018, 11:49 pm   #27
mhennessy
Dekatron

That's good I couldn't see it in the photo, but looking again, I'm guessing they're inside some black sleeving that I think I can see if I look at the monitor at the right angle
Old 2nd Jan 2018, 1:19 am   #28
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
I'm guessing they're inside some black sleeving that I think I can see if I look at the monitor at the right angle
Yup This is a clearer shot....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5142.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	154828  
Closed Thread