UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2022, 10:56 pm   #1
Issonian
Diode

Default Radio Similar to Defiant MSH972

When I was aged around 7-11 my parents had a Defiant radio that looked similar to the MSH972 model. Possible differences were (a) that the magic eye was set into the cabinet and not part of the tuning dial and (b) there might have been a set of present tuning buttons. Does anyone recognise such a desription and what might the model number have been?
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 9:48 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Radio Similar to Defiant MSH972

Have you tried searching on this site using the pictures only option?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 10:57 am   #3
Issonian
Diode

Thanks for the tip, Graham. Based on the picture search, the tuning dial on my parents' radio was more like the MSH952 with its octagonal design. Were there any other Defiant radios made with intervening model numbers like MSH953, 962, 964, etc, do you (or anyone else) know?
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 12:13 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I expect there are a good many more MSH9xx models from the 1930s that aren't represented there yet. I have two console (floor-standing) models that aren't there, and had two others until our move in 2019 necessitated a big auction to reduce the colony. I can't say your description rings any particular bells, but I saw numerous table sets too while living in the NE where the strength of the Co-Op movement put Defiant among the most popular radio brands.

Paul
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 10:07 pm   #5
Issonian
Diode

Thanks, Paul - seems like my parents' model might be out there somewhere, but how to find it? I'm very new to this website - do you think there is a Defiant catalogue anywhere? Are there any auctions that specialize in vintage radios, do you know?

Issonian
Old 24th Nov 2022, 2:45 pm   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The BVWS website publicises forthcoming sales -

https://www.bvws.org.uk/ -

otherwise, auctioneers up and down the country have occasional sales dedicated to vintage radio when collectors pass on or drastically reduce their holdings. The Co-Op's creation of its own brand - if I remember rightly its dividend policy prevented it from offering other manufacturer's sets, as it effectively provided a discount and so would have undermined price controls - didn't endear it to radio retailers' bodies, and information on Defiant sets from the '30s, both sales brochures/catalogues and service data, is unfortunately especially hard to find.
Old 26th Nov 2022, 4:45 pm   #7
Issonian
Diode

Thanks, Paul, that website looks very interesting. I have meanwhile written to a CWS archive organization that might (or might not) be able to help me with Defiant radio set information. They said it might take a while to respond.
Old 8th Dec 2022, 10:11 pm   #8
Issonian
Diode

Well, after paying a search fee to the CWS museum, a lady rummaged through a box of Defiant sales material and sent me numerous photos from the CWS 1939-40 radio catalogue. Among them was a picture of the model MSH.953 which to the best of my recollection is the set that my parents had in the 1940 s and 1950s. The problem now, is, how do i get my hands on one, in whatever condition? At my age, racing around Britain isn't a great option, so I will have to find ways of locating one via the internet.
Old 9th Dec 2022, 4:32 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Not easy: I'd be surprised if there are as many as ten survivors, even that may be optimistic, and even if they're all in the UK your chances of turning up at any event where there's one up for grabs are extremely slim. Here's one that has surfaced recently -

https://www.golbornevintageradio.co....97524#pid97524

I've no idea whether its owner would be interested in parting with it, but you could ask him. It's not at all nearby, and committing such a set to the tender mercies of a courier might go very badly wrong unless it were dismantled to an extent and the resulting parts carefully packed. A relay of fellow enthusiasts can sometimes be worked out, or a service like Shiply could put you in touch with someone prepared to take sufficient care of the set in transit, for a price.

That's it, really - first find a set, asking for one here could possibly work or there's some chance of one happening to pass through eBay some time in the next few years, then comes the puzzle of how to get it from where it is to where you need it to be.

Paul
Old 9th Dec 2022, 5:26 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Issonian, I believe I may have one in my collection that I restored electrically many years ago.
If you email me a picture I'll see if they match up when I get a chance to find it

The cabinets for these sets were, I believe made at the CWS works at Pelaw and the CWS movement was strong in the NE, so it looks Like I have one of the few survivors.

A bit away from your location, but a pal gets juke boxes safely transported round the country, so should be possible

Ed
Old 9th Dec 2022, 8:17 pm   #11
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Ed,

For identification purposes, there's one here -

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...3-ac-428458907

Paul
Old 10th Dec 2022, 10:06 am   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Paul, thanks for that, yes I'm sure mine looks like that, now I just need to locate it.
From memory I think mine was an AC model

Ed
Old 11th Dec 2022, 10:09 am   #13
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issonian View Post
When I was aged around 7-11 my parents had a Defiant radio that looked similar to the MSH972 model. Possible differences were (a) that the magic eye was set into the cabinet and not part of the tuning dial and (b) there might have been a set of present tuning buttons. Does anyone recognise such a desription and what might the model number have been?
Pity it wasn’t a 972 as I have the operating instructions. I’ll have to keep a look out for a 972 now.

Interesting what Paul said about the cabinets being made in the north east. I have noticed that when a Defiant comes up on eBay they’re quite often in the NE.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A18AE220-00FA-45DE-842C-8C4D429ED559.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	269679  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 9:39 pm   #14
Issonian
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Issonian, I believe I may have one in my collection that I restored electrically many years ago.
If you email me a picture I'll see if they match up when I get a chance to find it

The cabinets for these sets were, I believe made at the CWS works at Pelaw and the CWS movement was strong in the NE, so it looks Like I have one of the few survivors.

A bit away from your location, but a pal gets juke boxes safely transported round the country, so should be possible

Ed
Hi Ed, I haven't tried this before, but I hope my photo of the MSH 953 is attached to this message. If it matches the one you have, could we have a conversation about me acquiring it?

Issonian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSH.953.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	270158  
Old 31st May 2023, 9:51 pm   #15
Issonian
Diode

I'm not sure how this forum works and if those concerned will see this message. I have now acquiired the Defiant radio that my parents owned in the 1950s, which I bought from Ed Dinning. It sure brings back old memories.

I would just like to thank all those in the trans-UK transport chain who ferried the radio in stages from the frozen north to the deep south: Ed Dinning himself, Greg Hewitt, Jeremy Owen and finally yours truly (but I don't need to thank myself!). Thank you all.

Best regards,

Brian ("Issonian")
Old 31st May 2023, 10:51 pm   #16
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

What a great outcome!

Truly in the spirit of this forum.
Old 1st Jun 2023, 8:03 pm   #17
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron