UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2019, 1:52 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Top band 1.8Mhz antennas

N for natural, M for Man-made

David
Old 7th Oct 2019, 2:20 pm   #22
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

I use my 110ft top doublet at 40ft as a Marconi T fed against some earth rods and a single quarter wave radial. Works well for both inter G and longer distance stuff, worked Afghanistan the other evening and had lots of W QSO’s last season, also had a WSPR report from Antarctica.....
Luckily my QTH is relatively quiet apart from drifting SMPS and Inverter racket from my neighbours solar stuff.

M0AFJ
Helston
IO70ic
Old 7th Oct 2019, 2:25 pm   #23
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

But was't the distinction meant to be that QRN referred to interference due to noise and QRM referred to interference from other transmitting stations? The EFI noise which is such a problem now doesn't really belong in either; perhaps we need to consider QRNn and QRNm, noise natural and noise man-made?

B
Old 7th Oct 2019, 2:51 pm   #24
ORAWA01
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
N for natural, M for Man-made

David
I couldn't distinguish which is which actually. It was loud buzzing noise on the whole band, and it could be from the atmosphere or from next door neighbors newly bought giant LED TV.
Old 7th Oct 2019, 2:55 pm   #25
ORAWA01
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
But was't the distinction meant to be that QRN referred to interference due to noise and QRM referred to interference from other transmitting stations? The EFI noise which is such a problem now doesn't really belong in either; perhaps we need to consider QRNn and QRNm, noise natural and noise man-made?

B
Yes, this is what I used to go by.

QRM used to be always for splatter from another station on adjacent frequency due to too wide bandwidth he is transmitting in, or bad modulation, or some one talking over the station I was listening to.

QRN was always for static or buzzing noise, and I have no clue where it is coming from.
Old 15th Oct 2019, 11:46 pm   #26
ORAWA01
Hexode

I joined the 40m long wire in the back garden for 3.5Mhz antenna to the indoor loft wire about 40m long wound around the cross members, and making End Fed Wire with counterpoise, it tuned up well on 1815 khz.

So using CW 2 Watts pep, I worked a G station in Maidenhead, Berkshire tonight. RST was 599 for him 559 - 579 for me.

He said, my sig is excellent for 2 Watts.

That was my 1st ever top band contact tonight. I was excited with the 579 report for my 2W output CW QSO.

The two wire antennas are joined by a alligator clip in the shack for the top band, and when it is taken off, they become 2x separate antennas. The 40m long in the garden for 3.5 - 3.7Mhz, and the indoor wire works on 7Mhz - 28Mhz.

Last edited by ORAWA01; 15th Oct 2019 at 11:55 pm.
Old 16th Oct 2019, 5:40 am   #27
M3VUV51
Banned

I used to use a g5rv with the legs shorted out running against all the water pipes in the house,thru a homebrew pi tuner,worked well on 160+ 80m,live in a flat now with no garden,currently using a mobile whip in the loft for 80,stuck on an old pc case,not very good tho,better than shouting but not by much! lol.
Old 5th Nov 2019, 11:24 pm   #28
ORAWA01
Hexode

Tried a few different configuration with the wire for the band.

A 40m long wire in inverted L configuration with counterpoise 7 meters above the ground with ATU seems working ok on 160m band.
Worked an OY station in Faroe Islands on the band last night. RST was 599/559. Tonight, the band was noisier and not as good as last night, but still worked a LB in Norway with 579/559. A couple of nights ago, worked into Germany on SSB with DK1NO as well. He must have a large DX antenna, as his signal was 59+20. He gave me 58 for my report.
https://www.qsl.net/dk1no/

This wire also tunes on 80m, 40m and 20m quite well. Works well on 40 and 20m bands, but not so good on 80m band. It tunes OK on 3750khz, but couldn't hear half the stations in the net.

A good things is that, it didn't cost me anything for this long wire antenna, as I pulled out a lump of old wire from the garden shed, joined them up, measured into the length and put it up.

Last edited by ORAWA01; 5th Nov 2019 at 11:42 pm.
Closed Thread