UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2015, 4:37 pm   #1
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Default GEC Dual Standard Colour

Hi all. I've just about finished restoring one of these and am left with a nagging fault someone may have experienced in those far off days of 1967 when beer could be had for two shillings (10P) a pint and what motorways there were were all nice and empty.
The fault is a 5mm white striation about 1.5 cm in from the left of the screen (on both standards). I suspect this set is prone to this problem. There is a mod. for it on the second production run (as fitted to my example). The service manual says that if that doesn't cure the fault then the LOPT is suspect. So it probably is the LOPT but if anyone thinks different I would be pleased to hear.
The set has come up surprisingly well, and I suspect has had relatively little use. The A63-11X is full of oomph on all three guns. There was a bottom creep frame fault which the previous owner had had a go at. I couldn't be bothered to fault find with those nasty Hunts caps around, and some replacement low power solid carbon resistors of 60s vintage in there as well, so I just rebuilt the whole stage. The high meg resistors in the Line Output stabilisation network had gone high producing low width. With full EHT restored, there was sizzling from the focus unit soon cured by a strip down and clean up, and that was about it for the main set. I just then had to take apart and thoroughly clean the VHF tuner. This is interesting because it's a Permeability Tuned type (i.e. the tuning selector moves cores up and down in inductors). I haven't seen this type of tuner other than in ancient car radios. Does anyone know of any other TV sets using this type?
I remember that these sets were a bit looked down on when they came out compared to other models. I think this was partly because they aimed for the bottom end of the price range, but perhaps also because they did away with the 25KV overwind, rectifier and shunt stabiliser. The pundits claimed the use of a tripler without the shunt stabiliser would mean poorer EHT regulation. In reality the EHT stabilisation is as good as any, and the build quality of the set better than many (e.g. generously rated pots.)
Old 13th Sep 2015, 5:36 pm   #2
pbengtech
Pentode

Default Re: GEC Dual Standard Colour

Hi,
It's a long time ago since working on these, but I seem to remember an o/c 1k5 ohm resistor could cause something similar to what you describe.. It may have been damping the line output transformer or the line linearity coil...
wiser heads hopefully will remember better than me.
Phil
Old 13th Sep 2015, 6:19 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Possibly that resistor would be across the Line Linearity coil.Common practice in most colour sets.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 10:13 pm   #4
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Yes thanks guys- your memory is very good. Sadly the 1K5 across the lin. coil checks out OK.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 10:18 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Common fault on the GEC 2028. Velocity modulation effect caused by ringing in the linearity coil. It's L6 in the circuit diagram. The 1.5Kohm damping resistor R55 goes OC.

DFWB.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 10:30 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

There a resistor, R611 (1Kohm) which is connected across the line scanning coils. This resistor is located on the convergence board.

DFWB.
Old 13th Sep 2015, 11:31 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Dekatron

If its a 2028 I had quite a few of these out on rent and I did experience that problem but can't for the life of me think what it was. I have vague recollections of it being something to do with the PL509 top cap. If you touch a few points in the circuit with a screwdriver it may change the position/pattern which might give you a clue.

Peter
Old 14th Sep 2015, 12:50 pm   #8
Dr-Watts
Heptode

I restored one of these a while back and mine did the same.
I never cured it either !
Dave W
Old 14th Sep 2015, 12:51 pm   #9
micheal
Pentode

Way back in 1970 i had the 0.1u/f decoupler on the screen grid of line o/p valve
PL509 go o/c but can't remember what fault it displayed, may be worth checking
Mike
Old 14th Sep 2015, 12:54 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Micheal,it was striations (possibly I spelt it wrong) common also on Thorn mono were it was an o/c 1uF.
Old 14th Sep 2015, 2:04 pm   #11
Laurdys
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niechcial,Steve View Post
It's a Permeability Tuned type (i.e. the tuning selector moves cores up and down in inductors). I haven't seen this type of tuner other than in ancient car radios. Does anyone know of any other TV sets using this type?
Yes, The bush T67 uses this tuning arrangement
Old 14th Sep 2015, 2:28 pm   #12
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Referring to the symptom mentioned in post #1.

On the top cap of the line output valve, and also of the boost diode, there should be an anti Barkhausen oscillation choke. If one is missing or damage you can get a line down the screen, although I can't remember which side.
Old 14th Sep 2015, 3:18 pm   #13
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I remember permeability tuners in Bush TVs going back to the 405 line monochrome era. The cores were plastic rods with little ferrite sleeves spaced along them which moved along long formers wound with several coils. It's been a long time since I've seen one, but I think there was a core/former for band 1, and another for band 3, with one of those flat sliding multi-pole switches to select between them. On top of the tuner were the normal PCC84 and PCF80 type valves

I remember one tuner that had the normal rotary selector with a cam arangement to operate the cores and switch. Another had 4 pushbuttons, 2 for band 1 the other 2 for band 3. Pressing a button operated the switch the right way and pressed on the end of the (spring-loaded) core to tune the thing.
Old 14th Sep 2015, 6:52 pm   #14
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

Thanks guys for the fault info. and the tuner discussion. I will check out those possibilities and report back.
Old 14th Sep 2015, 8:04 pm   #15
Niechcial,Steve
Hexode

As Fernseh says, according to the manual R611 (1K) is on the convergence board. However in reality it is on the scan coils. It had gone up by 300R, and changing it has I think made things slightly better, but the striation is still there. The choke on the PY is fine. The circuit shows no choke fitted to the PL, but if someone can help me out with one from the scrap box, I'll try fitting it. I changed the screen grid de-coupler, but no joy there. I suppose I could also try a few ferrite beads around the place. I remember that sometime I the late 60s or 70s Practical television ran a whole article on BK oscillation.

Last edited by AC/HL; 14th Sep 2015 at 11:14 pm. Reason: Several blank pages removed
Old 14th Sep 2015, 8:27 pm   #16
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I think you must have leaned on the CR key, lots of blank space in the post, can you still edit it?

You should be able to make a coil for the top cap of the PL509, cannot remember exactly but half a dozen turns about 6 mm in diameter should do it. I seem to recall the boost diode top cap had them in some sets. Support the coil on a small piece of insulating material.
Frank
edit, missed the bit about the PY already having one, just make one like that for the PL
Old 15th Sep 2015, 1:05 am   #17
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I had this problem a few times on the BRC1500 mono set, after changing the usual culprits I cleared the fault by replacing the 30FL2 line oscillated valve. So it might be worth changing the PCF802 line oscillated valve on your GEC colour set.
Old 15th Sep 2015, 2:49 pm   #18
toshiba tony
Heptode

Wasn't this called Barkenhausen Effect? I seem to remember sets that exhibited this could be fitted with a ferrite bead mounted as close to the anode of the line output bottle as you could. The early Decca hybrids suffered a lot (10 series) and I can remember curing a lot that way. Worth a try.
Old 15th Sep 2015, 2:51 pm   #19
toshiba tony
Heptode

Sorry, should have read all posts. Some other old timer beat me to it.
Old 15th Sep 2015, 3:44 pm   #20
pichacker
Hexode

I had a 2040 when I was a lot younger and mine had a similar effect that could be influenced by moving wiring around. Mine turned out to be an open circuit stabilising VDR (Or similar device) in the centre of the line board. One end had been lifted during a previous repair by someone. I know the 2028 is different but hey you never know if you have a similar failed component.