UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2015, 5:45 pm   #1
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Does anyone still make new CRTs?

I noticed in another recent thread that someone asked about buying a new CRT TV. I've not had it absolutely confirmed, but I've believed for a long time now that they're not made any more. At the least, I'm sure that there aren't any in the mainstream electronics stores here in the UK. This got me wondering, are CRTs hanging on anywhere for some reason or another? Perhaps a special application, or maybe they're still popular in another country. Or are they truly extinct technology now?
Old 28th Sep 2015, 5:55 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Does anyone still make new CRTs?

I can certainly get new CRTs, and do order them from time to time, but for industrial use. They're usually badged National and made either in the US or India.
Old 28th Sep 2015, 7:23 pm   #3
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Kevin, that's interesting. Is there some specific benefit to using a CRT over some other technology in these cases?
Old 29th Sep 2015, 9:12 am   #4
PaulE27
Pentode

I don't know about other countries, but they are certainly being sold in India:

http://www.sansui-india.com/Color-TV

These look about 25 years out of date to my eyes! Wish they were sold here.

Paul
Old 29th Sep 2015, 9:22 am   #5
Jonster
Heptode

Singer, whose electrical products are sold throughout Asia certainly still sell CRT TVs, there were a load of them on display in a shop in Bangladesh when I was there a couple of months ago.
Old 29th Sep 2015, 11:00 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

sorry, you mean CRT-based TV's? I thought you meant CRTs, i.e. tubes.
Old 29th Sep 2015, 11:11 pm   #7
broadgage
Nonode

I believe that CRT s are still made for oscilloscopes and other similar purposes like radar displays.

AFAIK they are no longer manufactured for TV sets. Both complete new CRT TV sets and replacement TV tubes are still available in developing countries, but I strongly suspect that these are NOS and not newly manufactured.

I suspect that the speed of the flat screen TV revolution may have caught some CRT manufacturers by surprise, and that they were left with stocks effectively unsalable in the major western markets.
Rather than scrap the inventory it was probably sold wholesale to dealers in developing countries.
Old 1st Oct 2015, 6:14 pm   #8
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

It's interesting to see TVs like this are still being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
sorry, you mean CRT-based TV's? I thought you meant CRTs, i.e. tubes.
Although I'm interested in the ones in TVs, I did mean CRTs of any type/application really.
Old 1st Oct 2015, 10:11 pm   #9
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

'Scuse the Chinglish...

"Lih Tzu Electric Co., Ltd., founded in 1980, is a professional manufacturer on connectors, CRT, cable assembles and sockets. All of our CRT are maded, assembled and tested by total automatic machine. We always aim is to provide clients the best quality products. Self innovation continuously is our way to make us always ready and capable for the cross century challenge. To approve our creative ability of our R&D department, our excellent management to serve our customers and we got the certifications for both Taipei and China factories in 1999. Excellent quality, competitive price, in time service and on time delivery are customers concerned most. By our TQM system on above mentioned categories, we are always optimistic stepping to the brighter tomorrow with our customers."

Apparently they're still made by a number of Far Eastern manufacturers; the last European factory closed in 2012.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 1:16 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

And sold some production equipment to another factory in Germany so something might still be going on, but instrumentation tubes aren't generally available anymore from European manufacturers since 2012. Production of consumer CRT must have ended in Europe around the time LG Philips went bankrupt the second time in 2008.
Closed Thread