UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2018, 2:16 pm   #41
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Lamp adapter query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
Ceiling roses can also be unscrewed by hand and I have seen them sold pre-wired to a pendant that also can be unscrewed by hand.
They must count a step ladder as a tool I suppose.
I don't think it's even that.
Batten holders are similar, and they are commonly installed at low level, e.g. in cupboards.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 2:31 pm   #42
Refugee
Dekatron

I agree that it is a compromise.
They are also mounted at low level on mirrors in the dressing rooms at theatres.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 3:01 pm   #43
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I first became involved with a girl who later became my wife because she wanted a BC adaptor for her record player and I had some. I had to go and fit it.
That was 52 years ago.
Old 24th Feb 2018, 6:44 pm   #44
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The one ES lampholder-adaptor I remember was intriguing in that though it had a straight-through connection to continue to power the bulb, the 'socket' function was actually for a pair of 2-pin 5-amp plugs, which stuck out horizontally, one on each side.......
I have something similar in my collection, although it has a BC connection for the bulb/lampholder and the 2-pin 5-amp sockets are angled at around 45 degrees.

Regards

Andrew
Old 25th Mar 2018, 3:21 pm   #45
PencilMatt
Retired Dormant Member

Some of my relatives owned an electrical shop back in the 80's when I was a teenager. I seem to recall that the reason they had to take these off the shelves was because there was a spate of serious fires from people wiring 13A electric fires etc into them, instead of the 5A appliances or Christmas lights that they were intended for.

For the same reason paper lampshades went off the market for a while in the 90's or early 2000's because there was a serious fire (in Torquay, I think?) when somebody used a 40W or 60W rated paper lampshade with a 150W bulb and it predictably caught fire. They seem to be back on the market lately though.

I saw one of the bayonet adaptors in a museum a while back. When stuff from your childhood starts showing up in museums you know it's time to start planning your funeral shindig.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 5:07 pm   #46
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilMatt View Post
I seem to recall that the reason they had to take these off the shelves was because there was a spate of serious fires from people wiring 13A electric fires etc into them, instead of the 5A appliances or Christmas lights that they were intended for.
That implies that the lighting circuit was incorrectly fused. Cases of electric shock or fires caused by electrical faults are rarely down to a single cause.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Mar 2018, 5:27 pm   #47
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Fuse? You mean that nail that was inserted because the flimsy bit of wire in the fuseholder kept melting?
Old 25th Mar 2018, 5:32 pm   #48
Station X

Exactly. Incorrectly fused.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread