UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2006, 7:52 pm   #1
cpdalr
Retired Dormant Member

Default Seymour radios, a little info.

Any information on this radio or where I can get replacement valves would be appreciated

thanks
CP
Old 13th Jul 2006, 12:19 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: inherited a seymour products ashton ltd radio

Hi CP,

Seymour were a small company active for just a few years immediately after WWII (approx. 1947-51), first in Ashton then more briefly in Arbroath. The Seymour model that turns up most often is a floor-standing one with the controls under a hinged lid, but there are table sets as well. Iain Wright has taken a particular interest in the company lately, and has written what will most likely be the definitive article on its history, which I think will be published fairly soon: I couldn't say whether or how often he checks in here.

I've not heard of any Seymour service information going around, but if there is any Iain will know of it. It sounds, though, as though you may be new to old radios - there are quite a few dealers in old valves, and forum members often help each other out when stuck for one. Valves generally don't deteriorate with time when in (satisfactory) storage, so your set may or may not need a replacement valve or two: some other parts, especially capacitors, aren't treated kindly by the passing years and almost certainly will need replacing if the set is to work well and reliably. As has been said dozens if not hundreds of times here, it's best not to plug the set in at all, or to use it even if it's more or less working, until they've been checked and if necessary replaced, or severe damage to the set (and/or an alarming bang...) can result.

Paul
Old 13th Jul 2006, 7:21 pm   #3
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Have had my Seymour for about 20 years, think it was on it's way to the tip when it was given to me. I have never replaced a component or valve in that time, and do not think any components have ever been replaced. A very well made set I believe.
Paul
Old 13th Jul 2006, 9:55 pm   #4
cpdalr
Retired Dormant Member

Paul

Thanksfor the info, yes I am new to old radio's, the one I have is floor standing type, I know it has not worked for about 20 years and the family reason was that the valves had blown. I am keen to try and repair it myself, could you suggest a good starting point? just so i can avoid a 21 century big bang

CP
Old 13th Jul 2006, 11:43 pm   #5
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Hi cpdalr welcome to the forum.
where are you based?
i am sure there will be a mamber local to you who can show you the basics and help you get this set going
this set i think was made local to me, i have only encountered one in the past and it was a sturdy old beast that seemed to use lots of war surplus parts and should not be too hard to get going.

Jay