UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2006, 1:10 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Radios using the mains as an aerial.

According the 'Trader Sheet' my Marconi 264 has a mains aerial

It's connected to the live side of the mains supply, via a 'mains aerial coupling capacitor'. The 'aerial' disapears, in the wiring loom, under the chassis and I can't find where it terminates?.

I've never heard of such a thing and I'm not sure what to do with the aforementioned cap (leave it, class X2, etc?).

Any advice?

Thanks
David

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 2:06 pm.
Old 18th Aug 2006, 1:54 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Marconi 264 mains aerial?

Don't know the set but if you are using a cap in a position where failure could result in personal injury it should be a class Y. The usual example is from live to earth in a mains filter network where failure could leave accessible parts live. Otherwise class X is fine.
Old 18th Aug 2006, 2:42 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I've just found out what the 'mains aerial' is... it's a mains aerial!.

The live side of the mains (via that capacitor) can be plugged into the external, aerial socket with a wander plug

Perhaps I should just disconnect it? But just out of interest would it work?

Thanks
David
Old 18th Aug 2006, 3:31 pm   #4
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

In all probability it would - after a fashion.

These days the mains supply carries much more HF interference due to switch mode power supplies and the like so it would probably be very noisy. There have been a number of threads on mains borne noise in the last few months.

Try it and see - after making sure that it is safe, the cautions advised in Jeffrey's post are wise indeed!

Regards,
Old 18th Aug 2006, 6:25 pm   #5
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

I have a number of these pre-war EMI sets with the mains aerial, it seemed very popular on sets with the Jubilee Chassis and similar mid 30's.

I have never yet found one of the original condensers to have failed (that's not to say you shouldn;t replace it for safety sake) and I have tried it out on all of them, whilst not as good as a proper aerial it does allow the reception of stronger signal pretty well.

Peter.
Old 19th Aug 2006, 11:44 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If I understand the above correctly, I assume that it is using the power supply lines as an aerial. If this is the case, it would presumably work best with overhead supplies. Unfortunately the power lines where I live went underground about three years ago.
Old 19th Aug 2006, 1:17 pm   #7
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Yes that's right. Thankfully they are still overhead here and so receiption is good, the only downer here is that there are not so many MW stations on the air here as there are in other areas sadly.
Old 19th Aug 2006, 1:32 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Well, I'm sure that a 'normal', length of wire, aerial will work better and be alot safer, so I'll disconnect it from the mains but leave the cap and flying lead in place.

Thanks
David
Closed Thread