UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2010, 7:26 pm   #1
annie-annie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts RFM 3

Please can anyone help me?

I know this sounds pathetic, but I just can't find anyway of replacing the battery in my little RFM3....nothing seems to open, I removed the screw from each of the side panels but that had no effect at all... as you may have guessed, it's the first time I have needed to replace the battery as the radio had a new already fitted when I bought it - I don't have a mains adaptor and would welcome any advice on where I could buy a suitable one.

annie
Old 28th Aug 2010, 7:56 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts RFM 3

In the base, there is a round hole near the circular piece of metal which is a bracket at the bottom of the aerial casing. Place a finger in the hole and pull away from this bracket. The base should lift out while doing so.

Yes, when I first met the RFM3, I spent a while trying to prise various bits before discovering this.

The battery is a PP9 - available from (among others) Wilkinsons (with whom I have no connection).
Old 28th Aug 2010, 10:32 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Annie,

Here are pics of the bottom of an RFM3 coming off.

Turn the radio upside down on a towel, put your finger in the hole and slide the bottom door towards you (you might have to pull quite hard) until its end just clears the chrome trim and then pull it off.

You should be able to find a 9 volt 300 mA adaptor at Maplins. You can buy an original Roberts PU9 mains adaptor from dealers as well but they're a bit more expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PU9-9-Volt-A.../dp/B001H76SZ6

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RFM3_open.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	39930  

Last edited by howard; 28th Aug 2010 at 10:47 pm.
Old 29th Aug 2010, 1:40 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks, Howard. That's a clearer description of what I was trying to say.