UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2013, 11:53 pm   #1
qualityten
Octode

Default Roberts R983 LCD failure

I recently obtained a Roberts R983, which works well, apart from a partial failure of the LCD display. I've seen this problem reported a number of times on the net, but without any reported solution.

(Incidentally, I apologise if this radio doesn't qualify as vintage, but I thought as it's not digital, it might fit here.)

Because the LCD is partially working, and is behaving in the same way that old calculator displays do when the battery power is low, I suspect that the display works and that it is a power supply problem. I have had it apart and there are no visible problems. Most of the components are SMD ones, but I wonder if anyone has had success with something simple like replacing a power supply capacitor?

I wonder if anyone has successfully resolved such a problem?
Old 28th Feb 2013, 12:10 am   #2
alanworland
Heptode

Default Re: Roberts R983 LCD failure

I have had similar probs with lcd displays and found most originate from the conductive rubber connection between pcb and display.
They never look dirty as such, but dismantling and cleaning of the area may help.
Good luck!

Alan
Old 28th Feb 2013, 8:49 am   #3
Freya
Octode

I agree with Alan, indeed my fluke meter did exactly that. Cleaning all connecting surfaces with isopropanoyl and a lint free cloth cured my problem and is certainly worth a try.

Steve
Old 28th Feb 2013, 7:30 pm   #4
qualityten
Octode

Thanks Alan and Steve! If it can happen to a Fluke, it can happen to anything.
Old 28th Feb 2013, 10:15 pm   #5
Andy Day
Pentode

In my working life I've repaired many LCDs which use the bit of conductive jelly, mostly in Canon typewriters, faxes etc, but I don't think the Roberts 983 uses one - I may be wrong but I have a recollection of scrapping one which was perfectly good otherwise 'cos the LCD was dead.
Old 28th Feb 2013, 11:42 pm   #6
qualityten
Octode

I gave this a try, but the 'connection' was a piece of sellotape with conductive strips. The cover over this was soldered tight to underline the 'no user serviceable parts inside' message. Without a circuit diagram and with the SMD parts, I've decided to quit while the radio still works. It certainly does not have the charm of our old R707.
Closed Thread