UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2018, 9:30 pm   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Roberts R500 carrying handles

I have just acquired a Roberts R500 transistor radio, untested, from an Internet auction site. On fitting batteries I was surprised to find that it all worked, even on SW. The brass telescopic aerial is in good condition too. Unfortunately the carrying handle has disintegrated beyond repair. Does anyone re-manufacture these items? I thought of using a piece from a ladies' leather belt but would rather keep the radio original. Also the "Roberts" badge has lost it's silver coating. Are these available too? This is my first Roberts radio and any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Regards
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts R500.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	172353  
Old 6th Nov 2018, 10:27 pm   #2
nutteronthebus
Hexode

Default Re: Roberts R500 carrying handles

I have a Roberts R300 with a broken handle and I am interested if any one has one of these

Dave L
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 6:21 pm   #3
martin.m
Hexode

I drew a blank trying to find a reproduction carrying handle, so in the end decided to fit a piece from a suitably sized leather belt. The original handle is 18mm wide and I managed to find an Ebay seller based in China offering a faux leather belt exactly the right size but only in brown. A bargain at £2.05 including postage and well worth the 3 week wait. I think it's a great improvement on the original handle and the piece left will do for another radio. Who knows, olive green ladies' belts could be in fashion next year. Next job is to spray the Roberts badge silver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Roberts #1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	173832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts #2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	173833  
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 10:38 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Try a Google search on 'roberts carry strap'.

Alan
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 9:15 pm   #5
paul1956
Diode

Wink Re: Roberts R500 carrying handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.m View Post
Unfortunately the carrying handle has disintegrated beyond repair. Does anyone re-manufacture these items?
Martin, I, too, had acquired an R500 to 'do up'.
Did an eBay search, and found a guy selling repro R300 straps.
Messaged him, and he said if I clicked on the R300 Buy it Now and bought that he'd send me the longer one for the R500 which he doesn't advertise.
Was very cheap, arrived quickly - looks very vintage, not quite the original's quality but you're not going to swing it around at the beach, are you?
A great match...
Not sure I'm allowed to post a link , but a quick search will find him...
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 10:41 pm   #6
martin.m
Hexode

Paul and Alan, thanks for your replies. I didn't know there was a difference between the R300 and R500 carrying straps. The person concerned has several R300 ones for sale in various colours and I have messaged him. Earlier last month I couldn't find anyone selling them. The radio would look nicer with a matching green strap.

Regards
Martin
Old 4th Dec 2018, 12:34 am   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

These straps caught my attention because finding reproduction Roberts handle straps seems to have become really quite difficult in recent times. They seem to be available in a range of colours and a variety of lengths. The price appears very reasonable too. Could be of interest to anyone who owns a 60s or 70s Roberts with a shabby strap.

I should stress that I have no connection with the seller or manufacturer.

Alan
Old 4th Dec 2018, 10:06 am   #8
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

A possible cheaper alternatie, if using brown leather. With some diligent application of an alcohol based dark green thick felt marker pen, would it not be possible to "dye" the leather a suitably dark shade of green?
Just a thought. Tony.
Old 4th Dec 2018, 10:22 am   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1956 View Post

Martin, I, too, had acquired an R500 to 'do up'.
Did an eBay search, and found a guy selling repro R300 straps.
Not sure I'm allowed to post a link, but a quick search will find him...
Yes, when someone asks where they can get parts or information, it's perfectly permissible within the rules to post a link to the eBay supplier's site.

In the Forum Rules above, it's worth reading Rule C, and the reasoning behind it. The relevant rules as to posting links are:

C. eBay and other on-line auctions etc:

3: You may not post links or references to items just because they interest you, though you may respond to a "Sets/Parts Wanted" or "Information Wanted" post by mentioning an eBay item or posting a link to it.

4: No discussion is allowed about the eBay company (including subsidiaries), the eBay website, eBay auction items or eBay sellers.

Hope that helps.
Old 10th Dec 2018, 11:07 pm   #10
murphy512
Pentode

My r600 had a missing carrying handle and I was lucky to find a ladies belt exactly the same colour.
The metal end clip was also missing so I a cut a piece of metal from a coffee tin and bent it shape and although not looking original it does the job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7110[1].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	174343  
Old 11th Dec 2018, 5:18 pm   #11
martin.m
Hexode

That is a superb DIY job. I managed to obtain a "reproduction" carry handle but decided not to fit it because it was too wide and too thick to fit into the end clips. I'm sure it will come in useful for something else. The leather type belts are ideal as the width can be trimmed to the correct size. I will have to make do with the brown one for now.

RE post #8. Thanks Tony, that is worth a try.

Regards
Martin

Last edited by martin.m; 11th Dec 2018 at 5:47 pm. Reason: More information
Closed Thread