UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2017, 8:29 am   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 396G Record-Player 3 valve amp!?

It's not so much about the need for a 2 valve pre-amp with a very high gain (which is laible to worsen the problem) it's about the impedence matching of a tablet/smartphone/MP3 to the input stage of the valve amplfier. You might be missing the point here, creating extra work for yourself and yet not solving the problem.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 11:54 pm   #22
McMichael488
Triode

Thanks Edward. Apologies for the delay, only just noticed your reply as it had moved to page 2 & I hadn't noticed!
I guessed I would be missing many points as I'm out of my depth at present

So impedence input mismatch.. Can I fix that? Could I use an input transformer if such a thing exists perhaps?

There's plenty of people who have successfully connected a line-in to their devices & it would make this set get used & enjoyed much more than just as a record player only. So I'm keen to do whatever modifications are necessary.
As I mentioned previously this was going to be scrapped & I got it for a cheap valved stereo amp to work on & learn on & improve as best I can.
I've bought some books to ingest. They are mainly concerned with valve radio repair.
Is there a valve amplifier building / repairing book anyone might know of to recommend please, that I may cross referance information from?
Thanks
I'd happily put a switch in that selects normal (original) operating mode for Gram input & modified mode for mp3 (line in) if need be.
Old 29th Oct 2017, 9:45 am   #23
peter_sol
Octode

The tone control would only have reduced the treble as it was turned and you don't need to do that using your phone so if you have enough volume you are OK
no worry about impedance matching. a low impedance (phone) is ok feeding a high impedance valve amp.
Closed Thread