UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2017, 10:53 pm   #1
GroovyG
Pentode

Default Ekco A277 - tinker or dispose?

Hello all - first post from a life-long dabbler with, I hope, just enough knowledge not to be dangerous.

I have an Ekco A277 passed down from my late father-in-law that I ran regularly in my shed for a good many years, although probably not in the last ten or so. It always sounded fair for its age (i.e. obviously not a match for modern hi-fi) but increasingly became distorted a few minutes after switch-on.

Having read with interest various posts here I plan firstly to re-form the main smoothers and to replace 'that capacitor'. Whether it's worth replacing all the Hunts I'm not yet sure, as performance at last use still seemed reasonable until distortion set in - and I tended to suspect that warm-up was spoiling its alignment - we'll see after the steps outlined above.

Anyway, as there is zero indication from the EM80 so suspect failed, the advice I seek is how to release it from its clip without breaking it. The other mechanical issue is that the rubber grommets on the tuning shaft bracket mounting screws are too far gone to be able to guess their original dimensions. Perhaps they should be renewed - but with what?

Having said all that, as I'm not sure that I actually want to keep the set - it's not a huge shed - I wonder whether it would be more satisfactory to move it on in its present condition or first to get it into good order, assuming that I won't change my mind about keeping it. Any thoughts? - thanks for any advice.

Graham
Old 19th Oct 2017, 11:15 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ekco A277 - tinker or dispose?

These are good sets. The circuitry is straightforward and the layout isn't cramped, so they make a good first restoration. There are a number of threads about them if you search.

You should certainly change That Capacitor. I changed all the caps between 0.001uF and 0.1uF in mine, but if you do this change them one at a time testing the radio each time to make sure you haven't made an error. You don't need to buy expensive caps - any modern types with the same or near value and the same or higher voltage rating will do.

If there is no obvious humming and the radio is working reasonably normally then the smoothing caps are probably fine and don't need reforming. Check that the can isn't getting hot.

If the EM80 is glowing green but not closing then it's probably not bad. It indicates the signal strength at the discriminator. If there's not much signal then it won't move. It's a largely cosmetic feature and should be the last thing you look at during restoration.

You can replace failed grommets with new neoprene ones. You can buy a big bag on eBay for little money.

It's up to you if you sell the set, but they aren't worth a lot - maybe £20 in good cosmetic condition, £10 if tatty, £30 if fully restored. None of us here get rich by restoring old radios, we just enjoy doing it.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 7:28 am   #3
mole42uk
Nonode

The A277, like the A274 that I have, is a lovely-sounding FM radio. With a reasonably sized short piece of wire as an aerial it will bring in all the usual programmes and sound delightful. Mine lives in the dining room and receives R4 on a 300ohm antenna hidden behind a picture.

It’s not a complicated wireless and quite suitable for an inexperienced restorer.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 20th Oct 2017, 8:51 am   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

The alignment is probably ok, or good enough, it’s the last thing to be sorting out unless it’s been “adjusted” before.

The distortion when warmed up will be more than likely grid current in the output valve circuit. Change the capacitors mentioned earlier, check the resistors are within specification and replace those that are out. I would change any small value electrolytic capacitors, there are possibly two, one on the ratio detector and may be one in the cathode of the output valve.

The smoothing capacitors, if they look clean with no leaks and do not get warm they are probably ok, but replacements are inexpensive if required.

Has Paul noted, it will probably cost more in time and parts than you will get for the radio restored but there is a lot of enjoyment for some getting the item back in working condition.
Old 20th Oct 2017, 8:55 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Great advice so far.

In summary, if you like it, fix it. It won't be difficult or expensive, and it will perform well. If not, sell it on as-is. You can do this here if you state a price. If you post pictures, we can tell you what it might be worth. Repairing it and selling it on for a profit isn't realistic, I'm afraid.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 20th Oct 2017 at 9:03 am.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 12:01 am   #6
GroovyG
Pentode

Thanks for all those tips. Success with changing That Capacitor and one of the small electrolytics, also contrived a fix for the grommets on the tuning mount, so in reasonable running order. Case cleaned and polished, now looks quite good. Tuning indicator not working at all. Bit of hum but not intrusive. Incidentally, still has the original shop's price tag on the back - 31 Guineas! and date stamps on the case of 1976.
Would be happy to sell here if that's within the rules.
Also have a 2" bakelite knob (probably tuning, marked Eddystone Radio), a load of old "bottles" and a variety of transformers that might be of use to a member or two, all of which I'd be happy to give away. How might I proceed?
Thanks - G.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 10:56 am   #7
Station X

Well done.

You can advertise items in the Sets Parts and Service Information Offered section of the forums. Please state an exact price or that the items are Free Of Charge (FOC).

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 19th Mar 2018, 3:46 pm   #8
GroovyG
Pentode

I've now attached some pics as NicktheDentist kindly suggested that you might be able to say what it's worth. Primary aim is that it should go where it will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco A277 radio (10).JPG
Views:	235
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	159496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco A277 radio (11).jpg
Views:	250
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	159497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco A277 radio (13).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	159498  
Old 19th Mar 2018, 8:25 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

The cabinet has come up nicely, a job well done!

What will the next set be, you cannot simply stop at one.

Ed
Old 19th Mar 2018, 9:47 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It's been my impression that this sort of FM single band woody can be quite sought after sometimes [as compared with the usual Long/Medium Short Wave jobs] but I've no direct evidence for this. It certainly looks good and well worth the effort, especially with a family connection

Dave W
Old 19th Mar 2018, 10:04 pm   #11
mole42uk
Nonode

It’s an excellent restoration of an excellent wireless. Someone will love it, you just need to find the one.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 20th Mar 2018, 10:58 am   #12
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

P.M. sent
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:40 am   #13
Radio Tech
Nonode

Nice looking set Graham, and you have done a good job on it. I agree with Paul, we all enjoy the task of restoring these sets and other vintage stuff and it's not about making money, it's the shear love of the hobby that keeps it all together.

Best wishes.

Ken
Closed Thread