UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2017, 12:43 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default RGD TC350 Carry-corder

I like cassette recorders, being mostly from the late 60's onwards they are normally simple to fix. My only problem is after they are fixed I will have to get out the wife's Englebert Humperdinck cassette to test it. (I wouldn't want to use any decent cassettes to test)

The most common problem with a cassette recorder is the drive belt, they seem to turn to goo. If you can, carefully prise the bits of belt of the various parts of the mechanism that it is adhering to. I always try and pick the remains off with a pin or sharp screwdriver, the lest places it gets smeared onto the better, place each piece carefully on an old tissue.

The goo residue is a devil of a job to remove, but surprisingly Swarfega does remove the remains very well from fingers etc. If you do use Swarfega on the metal parts of the mechanism, then I would recommend cleaning the parts with meths after.

Dont worry if you dont have the correct size belt, you can cut a larger one down and splice the joint together to fit. Make the first cut at a diagonal and feed the belt around the pulleys. Mark where the cut ends overlap and make another diagonal cut about 5mm shorter than the mark.

I use a plastic tub to work on, the sort that superglue wont stick to.
Place a tiny drop of superglue on one end and holding flat against the work surface carefully align and touch the 2 ends together. Within 5 to 10 seconds you have a joint, and in 1 minute it should be ready to fit onto the motor capstan and flywheel.
If you get a little too much glue on the belt then bend the belt over your finger and rub it with some 800 grit paper.

I have found that these joints are so strong that the rubber tears if you try to pull the join apart.
Click image for larger version

Name:	RGD_TC350_front-l.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	150967

Name:	RGD_TC350_belt1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	150964

Name:	RGD_TC350_belt2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	150965

Name:	RGD_TC350_belt3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	150966

Name:	RGD_TC350_chassis.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	150968

Mike
Old 18th Oct 2017, 12:54 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: RGD TC350 Carry-corder

Handy tip re. the belts, Mike, and impressive workmanship too.

Do you cut and join the belts freehand?

Nick.
Old 18th Oct 2017, 3:37 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: RGD TC350 Carry-corder

Yes, freehand, but I guess a splicing machine would help.
Come to think about it, it would probably be easier if you did both the final cuts with the belt ends overlapping then you could get the angle the same on both ends. (To be honest I took a couple of extra goes to get the angle right on the second cut.)

Mike
Closed Thread