UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2017, 6:23 pm   #1
radiozero
Hexode

Default Ohmeter 18B

I have a megger and continuity tester, "Ohmeter No. 18B".

I've got the instructions somewhere, but can't find them.

Okay, I'm wanting to make sure that the test set is giving a correct reading for continuity. I think this is the "LOOP" position.

I'm feeding 9v DC to the set. I have set one switch to "LOOP" (under "TEST FUNCTION") and the other (under RHEOSTAT VALUE") to divide by 10 (On the LOOP position). I've connected a 1 Ohm resistor across "LINE" and "RETURN".

I get a balance when I set the rheostat to setting - 0018. Translated that says the resistor is 1.8 Ohms. Now, since the (brand new) resistor has a tolerance of 5% I should not get a reading above 1.05 Ohms. I've checked with another type of 1 Ohm resistor and I get a similar result. So, can anyone suggest why I'm getting a result that is far too high? Thanks.
Old 4th Oct 2017, 8:38 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Ohmeter 18B

Lead resistance? Meter test leads usually run at about half an ohm or so.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Oct 2017, 9:45 pm   #3
radiozero
Hexode

The test resistor is connected directly across the terminals. No leads to the resistor. Will have to try to find the instructions to see if I'm doing things right.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 5:38 pm   #4
Downwind27
Tetrode

We may have some of these in the workshop, I will have a look at the weekend to see if any of them have documentation.
Closed Thread