UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2020, 5:12 pm   #1
Emibell
Tetrode

Default Hanimex La Ronde slide projector focus problem

Bought this recently to view a few old slides. The electronic focus doesn’t seem to do anything, when I press the switch on the (non-wireless) remote nothing happens.
The pic shows a motor (?) above the lens carriage with an eccentric cam - the brass part in the centre of the pic - which must move something but I can’t see what. Also the shaft doesn’t turn by hand.
I believe power is getting through as the nearby lamp dims when I operate the switch.
Any comments as to how to get this working gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93A96CCF-33FD-4842-9A6E-282A77F9E332.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	223365  
Old 28th Dec 2020, 5:19 pm   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hanimex La Ronde slide projector focus problem

I think the motor has an integral planetary reduction geartrain, so it might not be possible to turn the shaft even under normal conditions. It sounds like this might however be seized, as there would probably be some visible movement of the cam if the motor and geartrain were free but the linkage jammed elsewhere.

I would remove the motor and gearbox assy. which is probably as simple as removing the strap from over it, and test outside the projector.
Old 28th Dec 2020, 6:14 pm   #3
Emibell
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
I think the motor has an integral planetary reduction geartrain, so it might not be possible to turn the shaft even under normal conditions. It sounds like this might however be seized, as there would probably be some visible movement of the cam if the motor and geartrain were free but the linkage jammed elsewhere.

I would remove the motor and gearbox assy. which is probably as simple as removing the strap from over it, and test outside the projector.
Thanks, I think you’re right and the motor is seized.
By the way I worked out how it should move, it’s an eccentric spindle extension (best description I can think of) in a fixed vertical slot which moves a whole section of the carriage on a rail.
Old 29th Dec 2020, 12:05 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Could it be suffering from the same hardened grease problem that afflicts old record player mechanisms?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Dec 2020, 7:10 pm   #5
Emibell
Tetrode

Don’t think it’s hardened grease, nothing seized...
I tested the motor ex-situ and it does spin when a dc voltage is applied, what I noticed though is that the voltage needed to make it turn at more than a snail’s pace is 3 - 4 volts and the voltage I am getting across the contact points in the machine is only about 1.5 v which is barely enough to make it move itself let alone shift the lens carriage.
I would assume that the lack of voltage is the problem but have no service manual to confirm this.
Any further comments gratefully received...

P.S. if anyone has a service or user manual for ‘La Ronde 2000 TEF’ I would love to borrow it or see the schematic.
Old 30th Dec 2020, 7:45 pm   #6
whyperion
Hexode

Is there a mechanical lever on these ones ? sometimes they work better than the electronic link if there is.
Old 31st Dec 2020, 11:17 am   #7
Emibell
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyperion View Post
Is there a mechanical lever on these ones ? sometimes they work better than the electronic link if there is.
Not as far as I can see, but I can just about manage to grip the lens rim with my fingers and move it in and out a little!
Closed Thread