UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2010, 11:39 am   #1
domm1kta
Triode

Default New acquisition now an owner of an R1155/L

Hi all,

Once I cleaned out a few spiders and gave the front panel a light dusting this is what I have...

http://m1kta-qrp.blogspot.com/2010/0...quisition.html

I thought it was the N model... actually it's an L model. The drive seems smooth and all the switch contacts appear to work.

Just initial photos but the set on first appearance looks in reasonable condition and the front panel and the dial seems to be intact. To my untrained eye I'd say it hasn't been hacked about this either.

I believe the missing valves are for the DF but I will probably be wrong.

The cork panels in the chassis, missing one of the long ones. Of the others one is in place and three are loose. I suspect replacing the missing one the dinning room table cork mat I use for drinks need replaced with something nice and modern as it is the right thickness hihi....

Missing three of the front panel thumb screws.

I'll blog the restoration although probably will not see much done this side of summer. I expect will wander down to RAF Duxford (7 miles SE of QTH) to see the Lancaster mock up at some point. http://goto.glocalnet.net/bosradio/m...otogallery.htm

Dom
M1KTA
Old 5th Jun 2010, 1:50 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: New acquisition now an owner of an R1155/L

Hi Dom

Has it been re-wired or are those PVC wires original? It does look like the D/F valves are missing and unfortunately somebody's screwed in an aerial socket where the 'meter deflec' should be. You can also see where the connection has been made to pin 1 of the jones plug.

David
Old 5th Jun 2010, 11:14 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Looks superb and original,though i could be wrong.Have one myself that has not been touched and was working well last time out.

David GM8JET
Old 7th Jun 2010, 8:57 am   #4
Peter.G0DRT
Pentode

Hello Dom.

Yes,the DF valves are missing and were often removed for amateur use,which also helped to reduce current consumption.It looks as though the leads to the DF valve grids are also missing but easy to replace.The insulation was changed to p.v.c. sometime in the 1940s so is probably original on your 1155.The DF valves are still available but other DF components are not so easy to find.It's fortunate that your 1155 is still mostly intact.

Peter.G0DRT.
Old 9th Jun 2010, 11:50 am   #5
domm1kta
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Hi Dom

Has it been re-wired or are those PVC wires original? It does look like the D/F valves are missing and unfortunately somebody's screwed in an aerial socket where the 'meter deflec' should be. You can also see where the connection has been made to pin 1 of the jones plug.

David
David,

The PVC covered wires certainly are not new but weither done in 40's or 60's/70's is probably anyone's guess.

Yes noted the meter deflec mod. What should this have looked like a switch that went from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock?

Dom
Old 9th Jun 2010, 6:45 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by domm1kta View Post
mod. What should this have looked like a switch that went from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock?
Hi Dom, Yes that's correct. I've checked my front panel and there is a small hole where the bolt for your aerial socket is, so hopefully it's been fitted without any drilling
Old 9th Jun 2010, 8:57 pm   #7
domm1kta
Triode

Thanks.

Now the small issue/bit of fun at rallies of finding the switch
Do you have a high res image of it front and rear? Any markings or type?

Don't suppose you got one spare? Thought there used to be a R1155 website selling spares but cannot find it now.

Dom
M1KTA

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 9th Jun 2010 at 9:49 pm. Reason: Quote not needed.
Old 10th Jun 2010, 7:55 am   #8
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Dom,you're probably thinking of John Swingewood at g4cvu.co.uk. His website seems to be broken at the moment, but I don't recall him ever listing switches.

Andy
Old 10th Jun 2010, 1:26 pm   #9
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've never seen spare DF switches for an 1155 at a rally (or sold separate from a set at all ) despite having looked for a few years. Still, you never know your luck when you sort through boxes of junk at swapmeets.

Pete.
Old 10th Jun 2010, 5:31 pm   #10
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Dom,

It's not very good but here's the best photo I have of the switch.

I doubt you'll ever use the D/F capabilities of this receiver, so why not fit a dummy shaft and buy a repro knob from g4cvu? Leaving out the D/F valves also makes it easier to find a suitable heater supply

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020017.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	36848  
Closed Thread