UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2019, 7:48 pm   #21
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultrasonic circuit

I wouldn't bother - I'd get the council to sort it.

The onus is on the dog owner - not those on whom the nuisance is inflicted. If the owner is minded to, they can put a stop to it.

DEFRA give advice to owners on how to minimise if not eliminate noise from dogs:

file:///C:/Users/David%20Taylor/Downloads/barkingdog%20(6).pdf

Rather than others buying devices - effective or not- to try to silence nuisance dogs, dog owners can buy devices to train their dogs to not bark incessantly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bark-Dog-Co...vice+small+dog

Of course, some dog owners might feel such devices are cruel.

Whilst dogs are allowed to bark, their owners aren’t allowed to let them bark to a point where it causes a nuisance to others. It's a matter of fact and degree in each case as to whether in law it amounts to a statutory nuisance. Factors that may be taken into account include the volume, duration of the barking and the time of day it happens. The test is whether it is of a level which makes it intrusive or irritating.

If a complaint is made to a Council, they have a statutory duty to investigate it.

If the authority is satisfied that the noise amounts to a statutory nuisance, it will serve you with an abatement notice requiring the noise to be reduced to an acceptable level. If you fail to comply with an abatement notice, you could face prosecution and, if convicted, a fine of up to £5,000 (and possibly further daily fines of up to £500 for each day on which the offence continues after the conviction).

Not complicated to report noisy dogs (or cockerels!) to local councils:

https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

I guess that we're well off topic of building an ultrasonic deterrent, the general view being 'don't bother'.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 9:23 pm   #22
Radio Wrangler

Just getting the council in can also create a 'situation' or just guarantee retaliatory objections should you ever go for planning permission for something. The country is littered with escalated tensions between neighbours.

Have you exhausted diplomacy as a first measure?

I get on well with my neighbours despite being a bit noisy at times, but I fix things for them etc and am seen as a bit of a local resource.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 9:46 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Just getting the council in can also create a 'situation' or just guarantee retaliatory objections should you ever go for planning permission for something. David
And also can cause issues when you come to sell the house - "have there been any displutes with the neighbours?" being one of the standard questions a buyer's conveyancers will ask.

I'd suggest trying to make friends with the dog!
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 9:53 pm   #24
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:

Have you exhausted diplomacy as a first measure?

David
That's the first advice the Council will give - enforcement being the last resort, and of course it makes good sense, if the noise does indeed come from an immediate neighbour's dog rather than a complete stranger. When I said above that DEFRA gives advice to owners on how to minimise if not eliminate noise from dogs, the 'link' I gave won't of course work as it was my own download, but it can be found at the other link I posted:

https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

Really, it's about responsible dog ownership and should be very apparent to owners that if their dog barks incessantly, that they should take remedial action. As with dog fouling, most dog owners are responsible, but a minority aren't. There are several dogs on the road on which I live, none of which pose any problem. There's a dog in the next road that barks a lot, and one of the neighbours makes a louder noise shouting at the dog to shut up. Perhaps they deserve each other?
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 10:09 pm   #25
ms660
Dekatron

Getting the council out is no guarantee, some crumby neighbours near the yard I worked from got the council out to me for running my large bandsaw (used in my sawmill) which was powered by a diesel engine (engine/exhaust well silenced) The environmental sound man was sent out, he told me to power up the bandsaw....I did....then I was told to start cutting....I did....net result was no offence committed and not a lot could be done on noise grounds....

….The bit they hadn't taken into account was that I had a fresh sharpened full width 4" bandblade on the saw (thanks to EPS Wiveliscombe) and the sawing was done on some fresh Western Hemlock sawlogs I had not long had delivered, cutting fresh Hemlock is a bit like cutting water, after all the officials had cleared off I just went back to sawing as I used to, just to annoy the neighbour.....with good reason too.....

….."Oh nice to see some traditional local industry around here using local materials and being crafted into useful things".....That was their initial response to me when I first occupied the yard, so much so they bought quite a few of my products and were delighted....but sometime later they decided to move to a more arty farty part of the county so they put their house on the market and more or less at the same time they complained to the council about my sawmill.

If they had consulted with me first I would probably have made the effort for some time slot sawing that might have been agreeable.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 10:45 pm   #26
paulsherwin

Can we get back to ultrasonics please.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 10:58 pm   #27
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
They have a springer spanial next door to us and when it comes out into the garden it barks until I lean over the fence and say "hello" to it then it stays quiet.
If it sees a cat it turns into a rocket

We have a Springer. I've not found him to be particularly "barky". He only does it when excited - i.e you let him out and he knows a walk is in the offing he does a few laps of the garden barking but calms down once the walk is in progress.

I suspect an ultrasonic noise stands a chance of making some dogs howl, especially if they find it distressing !
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 11:24 pm   #28
ms660
Dekatron

Let's hope it wouldn't interfere with a blind persons guide dog when it's on duty.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Mar 2019, 1:30 am   #29
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post

I suspect an ultrasonic noise stands a chance of making some dogs howl, especially if they find it distressing !
A mate of ours used to have a lurcher that used to howl if it heard a police car siren.
Old 4th Mar 2019, 10:13 am   #30
John10b
Nonode

I have put on hold, for the foreseeable, the ultrasonic device, post #17.
I read in the paper today that Sir Ranulph Fiennes will be using a sonic device to repel great white sharks, when he walks on the seabed.
If this is a proven technique why not use it on the beaches where sharks,“Jaws” , give so much trouble?
I of course realise it is sonic and not ultrasonic.

Cheers , John.
Old 4th Mar 2019, 10:34 am   #31
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
and one of the neighbours makes a louder noise shouting at the dog to shut up. Perhaps they deserve each other?
Sounds like me , but at least my dog knows what "shut up" means and obeys almost instantly.

Trouble is we have the equivalent of the mad cat lady diagonally over the fence so he is constantly chasing cats round the back yard.

The ultrasonic bark control devices were made illegal here some time ago on the grounds of animal cruelty.
Old 4th Mar 2019, 1:50 pm   #32
Refugee
Dekatron

A mate of ours has a dog that barks quite a bit.
He tells it off and if that does not work he puts a muzzle on it for a few minutes.
Showing it the muzzle gradually became more effective as the dog learned.
Old 4th Mar 2019, 2:27 pm   #33
Radio Wrangler

[QUOTE=Terry_VK5TM;1125928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:
and one of the neighbours makes a louder noise shouting at the dog to shut up. Perhaps they deserve each other?
Sounds like me , but at least my dog knows what "shut up" means and obeys almost instantly.

Trouble is we have the equivalent of the mad cat lady diagonally over the fence so he is constantly chasing cats round the back yard.

The ultrasonic bark control devices were made illegal here some time ago on the grounds of animal cruelty.
Something's gone wrong here. The quoted text is NOT by me. I think the less bold attribution to David G4EBT may be the right attribution

David
Old 4th Mar 2019, 2:41 pm   #34
Station X

Hopefully I've now fixed misattributed quotes in this thread.

It helps if members preview their posts before submitting them, especially where nested quotes are used. An orphaned [/quote] or [quote] is a sure sign that something is wrong.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Mar 2019, 12:20 am   #35
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Sorry guys, that was probably me and finger trouble
Old 5th Mar 2019, 12:22 am   #36
Radio Wrangler

Thanks,

David