UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2008, 4:58 pm   #1
stendec
Retired Dormant Member

Default Kenwood TS-830S powered by 12 volts?

The power input socket (12 pin mini jones plug type) on the rear of my Kenwood TS-830S has a plate saying AC220/240V 50/60Hz DC 13.8V
The manual makes no reference to the 13.8 volt input and the circuit diagram only shows a 120 volt mains input.
Can anyone tell me which pins are for 13.8 volts and how much of this transceiver can be powered from this supply? Obviously not the valve PA section but; the receiver only?, VFO and TX front end?, including the driver section? Can it be run as a QRP mobile rig? What are my options, if any?
Any information appreciated,
Stendec
Old 15th Jan 2008, 6:36 pm   #2
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Kenwood TS-830S powered by 12 volts?

I have an 830 myself but I do not have the 13.8volts conversion. I think you will find that the TS830 can work from 13.8 volts when it has the two big power transistors plus heatsink on the back, it was not fitted as standard.

Take a look around the back of the set and if you don't have the heat sinks on the back it won't work. When they are fitted on the back I think you will find that it will work the whole set at full power. It uses the mains transformer as an invertor transformer. It is obviously not as effiecient as the modern day solid state radio as there are losees in the inverter and also you are powering the heaters on the tree valves constantly unless you only use it on rx with the heater switch off. Hope that helps
Roger GW3XJC
Old 15th Jan 2008, 6:45 pm   #3
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Kenwood TS-830S powered by 12 volts?

Here is an extract from the full manual, i can post you a copy on cd if you wish
Roger GW3XJC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 830 12volt.pdf (82.3 KB, 686 views)
Old 16th Jan 2008, 12:32 am   #4
stendec
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Roger, thank you very much for the information. I assumed that at least the receiver section could be powered directly from 12 volts but as all the voltages come from the mains transformer whether on mains or inverter mode this appears not to be possible. I was considering taking the rig with me in a camper van so current consumption is a prime factor as far as the leasure battery is concerned. I guess a modern commercial 12 to 230 volt inverter would be more efficient but a home made 2 x 2N4280 add on unit would be cheaper and I suppose more in keeping with the spirit of amateur radio.
The full manual on cd would be most welcome, thank you. I only have the owners instruction manual.
If you contact me I can give you my home address.
Thanks again, Stendec. G4KES

Last edited by Station X; 16th Jan 2008 at 12:36 am. Reason: Email address removed to comply with forum rules. Please make contact by PM.
Old 17th Jan 2008, 10:26 pm   #5
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

My e mail address is available via PM gw3xjc

Last edited by Sean Williams; 17th Jan 2008 at 10:52 pm. Reason: Email address removed - please check the rules!
Old 18th Jan 2008, 4:03 pm   #6
stendec
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Roger, I sent a PM with my mailing address and e-mail address.
Please let me know on the TS-830S....12volt thread if you haven't received it.
Stendec
Old 24th Jan 2008, 11:14 pm   #7
stendec
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Roger,
Thanks very much for the TS-830S manual on CD. Was browsing through it earlier, brilliant!
Best regards and many thanks,
Stendec.
Old 25th Jan 2008, 8:32 pm   #8
gw3xjc
Retired Dormant Member

My pleasure
Gw3xjc
Closed Thread