UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2008, 6:44 pm   #1
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default GPO Radio Receiver Type 35A.

I wonder if any one has any information about the unit named in the title. It was manufactured by Walker & Leach in Kingston upon Thames.

I think that it was used to track down "pirate" broadcasters on VHF bands.

The unit is transistorised and has two plug-in tuners - Type A covering 34 to 115 MHz in two ranges, Type B covering 115 to 225 MHz in two ranges.

It runs on no less than 3 PP3s.

Any information gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPO35A-2a.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	14468  
Old 12th Jan 2008, 11:30 pm   #2
Chris-G8ETC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GPO Radio Reciever Type 35A

Ah, the good old GPO type 35 Rx.

It was a general-purpose radio monitor that was available as 'personal issue' to all GPO RFI/TVI Investigators. The receiver was used for undertaking all sorts of checks and tests, but mainly for locating sources of interference using harmonics that were within the opeartional range of the item.

The set was provided with a pair of lightweight headphones, a whip aerial and some in-line attenuators. A portable 2-element aerial was also available for D/F work, which may or may not have been part of the package - I forget now.
Old 13th Jan 2008, 12:35 pm   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: GPO Radio Reciever Type 35A

Thanks Chris,

This one came with two aerials in the lid but the di-pole sections are missing. This was presumably for the D/F application.

It does emit some crackles when turned on and the meter deflects. Unfortunately the meter needs some attention apart from anything else. Eventually I'll sort it out but it isn't exactly a priority - fits nicely into both my areas of interest, test gear and radios!

Regards,