UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2017, 5:49 pm   #1
collisr
Pentode

Default Best swapmeets/fairs for vintage Video electronics

Hi all,

Never been to any of the fairs discussed in the community and looking for advice on which ones (London/SE/East Anglia) have domestic (or broadcast) video format players and accessories?

I am interested in EIAJ open reel video, Philips N1500/1700/Video 2000, Betamax, Betacam, U-matic - players, service manuals, tapes etc.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Rob
Old 16th Sep 2017, 3:16 pm   #2
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Best swapmeets/fairs for vintage Video electronics

Hi Rob,
All that sort of stuff seems to be very thin on the ground. I'm always on the look out for TV's and always look for video related stuff as well. I have been going to Wootton Bassett, Harpenden & the NVCF for the last few years and have never seen any open reel machines. The occasional 1700 or 1500 does turn up. The amount of TV stuff is very limited: as an example, out of 300 auction lots, there were only 6 or so TV items.
I would say 99.99% of the stuff at these events is radio, telephony or audio related.
Keep your eye on the items offered on this site- there were brand new in box Sony CV2100 machines a year ago and a mint 1702 a few days ago!
Good luck
Nick
Old 16th Sep 2017, 3:18 pm   #3
1100 man
Octode

See you spotted the 1702 then Looks a really nice machine!
Old 16th Sep 2017, 6:53 pm   #4
collisr
Pentode

yes i did "spot the N1702". Looking forward to renovating.

Shame there isn't more interest in the video side of things. I am trying to make contact with any ex-service engineers that can help me get to the next level of repair diagnostics too. I was hoping to meet some at these fairs - as well as indulge in more kit !

I have far too many old video machines now. And thousands of tapes to remaster/transfer to digital. Only half I have succeeded in fixing - and even then I have been with the help of others.

Anyways.. if anyone can think of a fair that has some more video-related stuff, would always appreciate a PM.

Rob
Old 17th Sep 2017, 12:17 am   #5
1100 man
Octode

Hi Rob,
I have long been amazed- nay astounded that so few people seem to embrace the wonders of vintage TV and video recording technology. We seem to be a very small subset of the vintage electronics community! Radio & audio seem to be people's main interest.
Maybe it's because relatively few people were involved in the repair of such items and so don't have a connection with them.
I grew up with video technology- open reel at school then VHS/Beta during my mid teens and then repairing VHS and then security/ timelapse during my 20's & 30's.
My lunch hours at school were spent repairing dual standard TV's donated by parents to act as display units for the new ZX81's and Spectrum's.
I still have my CV2100 purchased by my dad at my insistence in about 1981! It was our family video machine for some years and lived in my bedroom. I used to record programs and send them down to the lounge via a long length of co-ax trailed down the stairs.
As the maximum recording time was 40 mins ( I only had a couple of 1hr tapes), a film required a reel change half way through. I used to set the alarm, get up, change the reel super quick and then go back to bed
Sorry, rambling on again!
All the best
Nick
Closed Thread