UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2020, 4:07 pm   #21
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Default Re: Sony TC 800A portable R2R belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
The manual implies it's universal for the mains, check all the transformer connections to make sure what's what for sure.

Lawrence.
Thanks a lot Lawrence I'll do that. Trev
Old 20th Jun 2020, 4:27 pm   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Leese View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I've just bought a set from this seller
Hi Maurice and thanks for the information, some kits appear to have 3 belts other 2 belts, my unit has 2 so that gave me cause to question 'will all belts fit all variations '.
I see there is an Italian seller (who I have purchased quite a few belt sets from) who is listing 2 belts for the Sony TC-800 / TC-800A / TC-800B / TC-800C, i.e. the same belts for all 4 model variants
Old 20th Jun 2020, 4:36 pm   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

This TC-800A seems to be specific to Japan 100 volts mains, according to its label as attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TC-800A.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	209043  
Old 20th Jun 2020, 4:39 pm   #24
Reelman
Octode

A very interesting machine that was available in 2, 3 and 4 speed versions. The 4 speed had a built in microphone.
UK versions were supplied to run on 117/240 volts approx selectable by an internal switch I believe. US versions would only run on 117V... why did the Japanese make multi-tap transformers for use worldwide but only fit 117V ones in the US?

Being a linear power supply it will not take any old mains voltage without adjustment.

It sounds like the OP’s machine is a US model since it appears to lack the Mains voltage adjustment.

I don’t know if all versions use the same belts but I would imagine that they do since the speed change is achieved electronically.

Sadly they use the novel but rare 4 pin mains/battery connector.

Peter
Old 20th Jun 2020, 5:01 pm   #25
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I've just bought a set from this seller
Hi Maurice and thanks for the information, some kits appear to have 3 belts other 2 belts, my unit has 2 so that gave me cause to question 'will all belts fit all variations '.
I see there is an Italian seller (who I have purchased quite a few belt sets from) who is listing 2 belts for the Sony TC-800 / TC-800A / TC-800B / TC-800C, i.e. the same belts for all 4 model variants
Hi David, yes ive dound the guy in Italy and i have ordered 2 belts. Thanks. Trevor
Old 20th Jun 2020, 5:05 pm   #26
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
This TC-800A seems to be specific to Japan 100 volts mains, according to its label as attached.
Yes David i see the voltage on your picture but as you can see on the photo of the information plate that posted earlier there is no mention of any ac voltage, very strange.
Old 20th Jun 2020, 5:12 pm   #27
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
A very interesting machine that was available in 2, 3 and 4 speed versions. The 4 speed had a built in microphone.
UK versions were supplied to run on 117/240 volts approx selectable by an internal switch I believe. US versions would only run on 117V... why did the Japanese make multi-tap transformers for use worldwide but only fit 117V ones in the US?

Being a linear power supply it will not take any old mains voltage without adjustment.

It sounds like the OP’s machine is a US model since it appears to lack the Mains voltage adjustment.

I don’t know if all versions use the same belts but I would imagine that they do since the speed change is achieved electronically.

Sadly they use the novel but rare 4 pin mains/battery connector.

Peter
Hi Peter, my machine does appear to be US model even though it was bought in the UK from new, but absolutely no indication as to the voltage on the information plate, i didn't know about the switch inside and if it has one will it be immediately obvious to me or where should i look for it?
The linear mains lead is extremely difficult to find.
Thanks
Trevor
Old 20th Jun 2020, 7:40 pm   #28
Michael Maurice

It could be that there are two windings one is 100V the other 120V. Put them in series and you get 230V

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Jun 2020, 8:38 pm   #29
Reelman
Octode

Here is the identification from the bottom of one of mine and the plate underneath the power connector. This is a 4 speed model with built in mike. Obviously the previous owner did not have the original and correct power connector and performed this bodge!
It certainly gives the impression that the mains voltage cannot be adjusted. I have yet to remove the bottom to check.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	18D635DC-3349-46AE-8C59-462AB48DB206.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	209068   Click image for larger version

Name:	2742CA13-2EFD-4D51-88A1-950E62B61D92.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	209069  
Old 20th Jun 2020, 8:43 pm   #30
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
It could be that there are two windings one is 100V the other 120V. Put them in series and you get 230V
Thanks Michael, how can i tell if what you are suggesting is correct, what do i need to look for.
Thanks Trevor
Old 20th Jun 2020, 8:46 pm   #31
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Here is the identification from the bottom of one of mine and the plate underneath the power connector. This is a 4 speed model with built in mike. Obviously the previous owner did not have the original and correct power connector and performed this bodge!
It certainly gives the impression that the mains voltage cannot be adjusted. I have yet to remove the bottom to check.

Peter
Hi Peter, the plate on yours is the same as mine except mine is an 800A, this might suggest that transformer inside is capable of taking all tgthe e voltages mentioned .
Thanks Trevor
Old 20th Jun 2020, 9:44 pm   #32
hillmanie
Pentode

When I had the same issue with a nice enough 117v Concord one of you folks gave me a timely reminder that the pulley wold be sized for 60hz and would need replacing, additional to the stepdown tfr. However, since this is a portable with a low voltage DC (?) function would its motor be AC or DC?

If you can live with an extra piece of kit plus its cabling it might be a not so neat solution, even if not permanently ?
T
Old 20th Jun 2020, 11:27 pm   #33
Michael Maurice

The motor is a servo motor and is independent of the mains frequency.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 20th Jun 2020, 11:58 pm   #34
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Trevor,

A silly question maybe but how do you know it is UK, is it marked as UK/230/240 volts ?

Is there no sign of a 240 volt tapping on the transformer primary, is the mains wiring from the mains plug connected to the 110 or 120 volt primary tapping ?

Regards

David
Hi David, i don't with all certainty know if it is a uk model, the unit came from a house clearance and an elderly chap owned it from new but thats as much as i know for definite.
Here is a photo of the transformer, it only shows 110 and 120 volts so I'd better not chance plugging it into 240 volt mains.
Hi Trevor,

It would help to clarify this ongoing confusing issue if you could check out exactly what the mains transformer primary wiring connections are and where they connect back to.

Difficult from the photo to see all the connections clearly.

Looks like a white wire on the 110 volt tap.

Possibly a white wire on the 0V tap (there should be a connection to the 0V tap).

Does not look like there is a connection on the 120 volt tap, but looks like there is another white wire there but cannot see if it connects to the transformer.

Are there any other identified primary taps like 220/230/240 or another 0V tap ?

David
Old 21st Jun 2020, 12:47 am   #35
DMcMahon
Dekatron

There is a schematic for the TC-800 ( A or B suffix not referenced) on radiomuseum.org that shows 2 primary windings (as Michael suggested) and the various connections for the 4 voltage options, namely 110, 120, 220 & 240.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 9:02 am   #36
Trevor Leese
Pentode

Ok guys, this picture of the transformer, the top right 120 volt wire is also connected to the bottom left 110 terminal, the top left 110 volt wire is only to that one terminal and the bottom right 120 volt terminal is only wired to its 120 volt termainal. Is this any use ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200621_085606.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	209091  
Old 21st Jun 2020, 9:53 am   #37
DMcMahon
Dekatron

It helps Trevor but I still find it a little confusing. I think it goes some way to proving that it is 240 wired as you thought it was, but not 100% conclusive yet.

Because the radiomuseum schematic is copyrighted I cannot attach a copy of it or the relevant section. It shows the 2 primary windings each have a centre tap, so there are 6 taps in total for the primary windings. I think yours has 6. The schematic is a little unhelpful in the fact that it does not name any of the taps.

So the top left white shape that I thought may have been a white wire going to the 0V tap is not a wire but a plastic corner of the transformer. I now think that your top left white wire connects to the 0V tap, even though it looks like it is the 110V tap, I think the alignment of the tap identification lettering is not aligned correctly to the physical taps.

So do you definitely only have 2 wires leaving the transformer primary, namely:-

1. Top left white wire that connects to 0V tap (but looks like 110V tap).
2. Top right white wire that connects to 120V tap.
In addition to this wire and the white wire link that connects the top 120V tap to the bottom left 110V tap (probably actually the 0V tap, i.e. the furthest left tap) it looks like there may be another white wire connecting to
the top 120V tap, is this correct ?

There should be 3 wires leaving the transformer primary.

Could you get a photo of the bottom taps with the cables below pulled back out of the way.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 21st Jun 2020 at 10:00 am.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 10:27 am   #38
ms660
Dekatron

I would have thought there would have been a selector switch/panel, why else would there be a wire from the center tap going away from the transformer.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 10:58 am   #39
DMcMahon
Dekatron

From my view of the photo it is not clear if there is a connection to one of the centre taps, that is why I have asked for a better photo showing the bottom taps.

The schematic shows one of the centre taps connecting to the neon mains on indicator.

David
Old 21st Jun 2020, 11:07 am   #40
ms660
Dekatron

I don't have a schematic to hand but the transformer looks like a universal job, so 240 volts is feasable, tag to the left looks like 0v.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread