UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2020, 9:29 pm   #1
Alan_G3XAQ
Pentode

Default Freeing off a Jackson C804 variable capacitor

I'm using a Jackson C804 capacitor for the main tuning in a simple receiver

http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/jackson_bros_caps/c8.htm

Yes, I know I should have used a proper double ball race variable capacitor but I didn't have one in the drawer.

It seems stable enough when I thump the radio but really it's a bit too stable in as much as the shaft needs more turning torque than I'd like. As far as I can see the bush isn't adjustable. Before I try applying some watch oil with a pointed matchstick and perhaps afterwards regret it, has anyone tried lubricating this type of non-ballrace capacitor to make it turn a little bit more freely?

Thanks, Alan
Old 8th Jun 2020, 9:39 pm   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: Freeing off a Jackson C804 variable capacitor

As a trimmer it was probably designed to be stiff to avoid inadvertent movement.

Andy
Old 8th Jun 2020, 11:33 pm   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Although the catalogue calls them all "trimmers", clearly, the ones which can accept a knob may be used as front panel controls. I don't think I've previously encountered one that was a problem. I cannot see why a trace of lubricant should be an issue; maybe the silver plating will show some tarnish but many of the old ones do anyway.

B
Old 9th Jun 2020, 8:53 am   #4
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Give it graphite instead of oil first?
Old 14th Jun 2020, 8:59 pm   #5
Alan_G3XAQ
Pentode

Applying lubrication didn't help.

There is a spring clip at the back of the ceramic insulation that carries the earth tag but also pulls the rotor assembly into the bush on the front. A (very) gentle tweak with a pointed stick to slightly bend the clip and reduce the clamping pressure has solved my problem.

Yes it's a one way street but a series of small tweaks while checking the required torque until it turned freely but with no end play gave me the desired result.

73, Alan G3XAQ
Closed Thread