UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2020, 8:50 pm   #1
Pinörkel
Pentode

Default 3-pin capacitors

Hello,
I am in the process of restoring/replacing some capacitors in my vintage test equipment and need a little help. In my Telequipment D755 oscilloscope, there were once(before a previous owner replaced them with crap) some beautiful large blue snap-in filter capacitors with 3 pins made by Erie Electronics. They measured about 25 mm in diameter and were about 50 mm to 55 mm high. Although a set of original ones for restoration seems to be unobtainable, I now finally managed to find some 3-pin replacement capacitors with matching electrical values. Unfortunately, the replacements are only 40 mm high(see image) and have a different pin configuration.

On the original capacitors, there was one pin soldered to an unconnected pad on the PCB for stability reasons. On the new ones, the positive pin and the stability pin are swapped. This means that putting them into the PCB the same way as the original ones will not work. Does anyone know, if I can safely just connect the positive pin and the stability pin with a wire, without any bad side effects? The resistance between the stability pin and the positive and negative pins is in the order of one to ten mega ohms. So the stability pin does not seem to be connected to anything. Is there a standard pinout for these 3-pin capacitors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-pin_capacitor.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	207851  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 9:08 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: 3-pin capacitors

If your ohmmeter shows such a large value, it looks like the stability pin is not connected, so you should be OK just adding a bridge wire.

Some three terminal capacitors duplicated the -ve terminal and had additional connection tapes from the negative foil in the swiss-roll. this helped with stray R and stray L so they were intended for high frequency SMPS use, but the label indicated the dual -ve terminals.

The stablilty pin helps during wave-soldering in manufacture, but it also improves reliability if subject to vibration... two-pinned capacitor can flex their pins in a sort of hinge mode until the metal fatigues and cracks.

David
Old 6th Jun 2020, 9:45 pm   #3
Pinörkel
Pentode

Thank you for the fast reply. In this case, I will put together a small rectifier circuit for testing this outside the oscilloscope first. Seems I was kind of lucky to still find some 2200 μF, 63 V caps with three pins. I have another missing cap with 330 μF and 200 V that I cannot find anywhere with a 3-pin layout. Seems nearly all snap-in caps are 2-pin nowadays and get fixed with some additional silicone based glue. I would like to have a set of original caps, where I could hide a new capacitor inside the old shell. But those are really hard to source. Instead, I will try and find some similar sized 3-pin capacitors and try to recreate the original blue transparent heat shrink tubing with yellow print.

Denis
Old 6th Jun 2020, 10:16 pm   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I have the attached capacitors you can have if you want them. They are the same size as you want, 50mm high (body) height above board 57mm, dia 25mm.
They came from some scope spares that Ed Dinning let me have,
They are the same type of 3 pin as you describe about 8mm between the red pins and the unmarked pin is about 12mm away from the plane of the other 2.
They are not the right value unfortunately being 470uF 100V but if you are going to re-stuff them they may do for you.
If you want them they are yours for the cost of postage.

Peter

Edit, the pins may be marked one red and one yellow, hard to tell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200606_220725[1].jpg
Views:	99
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	207870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200606_220732[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	207871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200606_220748[1].jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	207872  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 2:35 pm   #5
Pinörkel
Pentode

Hello Peter, thank you for the kind offer. Those seem to have the exact size I would need. May I contact you via PM when I have acquired the remaining restoration ingredients and figured out a minimum damage strategy to open these caps? I still need to find some heat shrink tube with perfectly matching color and diameter.

The red and yellow markings on the pin are characteristic for these ones. Yellow usually denotes the dummy pin, red the positive pin, and the negative pin is unmarked. Erie even used to write this pin assignment on the heat shrink tube on larger capacitors. I have attached a picture of the three needed caps like in my D75. The red one is a PYE 330 μF.

Denis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D75_filter_caps.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	207919  
Old 7th Jun 2020, 3:10 pm   #6
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinörkel View Post
Hello Peter, thank you for the kind offer. Those seem to have the exact size I would need. May I contact you via PM when I have acquired the remaining restoration ingredients and figured out a minimum damage strategy to open these caps?

Denis

Yes of course.
Peter
Closed Thread