UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2016, 8:08 pm   #1
Top Cap
Octode

Default Making cable in 1944?

Not sure if the year is correct as we were still at war then, but a fascinating insight into how we once were. There is a little 'Guess the radio' teaser at 14.37. It's not a long video but really worth a watch, just for the fascinating machines alone. Oh yes, I do like the shot of the scientists with their advanced equipment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OlD...k#t=906.986883
Old 17th Aug 2016, 8:49 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Making cable in 1944?

Nice film!
I have to say though, I did alot of work for Rists Cables locally up to about the year 2000 and they were still using the same machines as in the film; with the exception of the paper and rubber tape lapping stuff; the insulation was all extruded on. The copper was delivered marked 'Delta Enfield' and was drawn, annealed, bunched, braided, etc all by those same huge machines..and mostly british-made machines too! Those big spindle things that bunched the wires into multiple cables with filler cores used to shake the concrete factory floor.
The only modern twists were that the PVC insulation was checked for thickness by laser and the finished product was hi-pot tested either by water bath or running under a curtain of chains. And of course most of the machines had safety gates and barriers so you couldn't get too close.
In the braiding sheds (sort of maypole machines) the air used to sparkle from floor to ceiling when the sun shone through the eastlight roof due to the copper particles floating throughout.

Last edited by McMurdo; 17th Aug 2016 at 9:05 pm.
Old 18th Aug 2016, 12:35 am   #3
unitaudio
Heptode

Absolutely superb. Loved the "Chomondley-Warner" narration! The machinery is a real feast for the eyes. I could watch that all day. I might do tomorrow...

Regards,
Paul
Old 18th Aug 2016, 7:32 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Interesting film. Also liked the Chomondley Warner narrater but his his cheerful simple minded sidekicks' asides were a bit annoying, "Oho, it's just like making stockings!"

Didn't know they had plastic in 1944, as used on the co-axial cable; always wondered how they get the holes in it, and that HV cable with a lead sheath must have been been fun to work with.

Andy.
Old 18th Aug 2016, 12:11 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

A very interesting film, thanks for flagging it up. I always wondered why the new cables they installed in our road in the 1950's when we were converted from 200V to 240V were coated with some white stuff. I see from the credits that one of the narrators was Alvar Lidell.

Re the holes, the attached almost contemporaneous advert from the Oct 1945 Wireless World indicates that it may have been done by two discrete extrusions, a star followed by a tube.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WW 1945.pdf (578.3 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by emeritus; 18th Aug 2016 at 12:16 pm. Reason: Typo correction
Old 19th Aug 2016, 7:14 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Ah, interesting. The star shaped piece looks separate to the outer circular tube in those pics. Its ingenious how they make cables, I guess in the early days they borrowed the design's from rope winding machines. I see in the video they used immpregnated paper and jute as insulators, which is also a link with rope making. Plastics obviously revolutionised cable making and did away with the need to leave a cable soaking for a week.

Andy.
Old 19th Aug 2016, 8:05 am   #7
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cap View Post
Not sure if the year is correct as we were still at war then,
It certainly does look more like pre-war rather than post war but there is part of the commentary "The use of this wire is still a war secret." so I suspect the date is about right.

Peter
Old 19th Aug 2016, 8:46 am   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

It also mentions being well equipped to provide cable for the country's expected post-war rebuilding needs
Old 19th Aug 2016, 9:27 am   #9
G4YVM David
Heptode

Fab video. Worth watching for that wonderful spark alone!!

D
Old 19th Aug 2016, 10:05 am   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

What a shame I seem to be unable to get the youtube clip to run. After skipping the annoying advert, I just get a never-ending circle of rotating dots on my antedeluvian computer.
Old 19th Aug 2016, 10:50 am   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

I had trouble getting it to play at first. In full screen mode, it ran for about 10 secs, then skipped to the next video. I had to start it and let it run for about 15 secs before switching to full screen mode, when it played to the end with no problems.
Old 19th Aug 2016, 11:24 am   #12
yesnaby
Octode

I cannot get it to play at all after the first few seconds. It keeps switching to other things/adverts. Tried the '15 seconds' trick but it does not work here.
Old 19th Aug 2016, 12:47 pm   #13
Top Cap
Octode

Try doing a YouTube search instead of the link, maybe that will work, I have found direct YouTube links to be funny sometimes-

Power Lines - 1944 Electricity Cable Educational Documentary - WDTVLIVE42
Old 19th Aug 2016, 2:51 pm   #14
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The link above includes a time parameter (#t=) that takes you to near the end of the clip. Try:
Power Lines Documentary
Old 19th Aug 2016, 3:32 pm   #15
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have another try. It least I'm not the only one having difficulties.
Old 19th Aug 2016, 3:33 pm   #16

That is a handy thing to know (the time stamp) perhaps it will make posting of a bit of a youtube clip easier for the linkee. I was a bit confused at first, but simply sliding the time thingy to zero worked.

That's how stuff was made and a lot is still in use, even feeding my house.

Old 19th Aug 2016, 3:34 pm   #17
yesnaby
Octode

Many thanks, I've seen it now, quite fascinating.
Old 19th Aug 2016, 3:41 pm   #18
ms660
Dekatron

What's the radio then?

Lawrence.
Closed Thread