UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2016, 5:32 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Phantastrons and high voltage valves

Hello,

Instead of doing what I'm supposed to be doing (packing up my workshop into storage) I've been playing with CRTs. Just sorting out the valves don't you know.

Anyway I've been playing with phantastron oscillators I found an article here http://www.hanssummers.com/images/st...hantastron.pdf do any of you lads know of a good book on valve oscillators?

I've been using small russian 6.3V pencil valves for this but need something with a bit more poke for the timebases as they need around 300V p-p and the pencil valves are only rated up to 250V. What would you use, preferably cheap, plentiful and small.

At present I have phantastrons followed by common cathode buffers for amplification but I was wondering if there were any small-signal pentodes that could bear about 1000V on their anodes that I could then use direct from the CRT anode supply...

No centering circuitry yet, but not a bad picture for 405 lines on a 1" screen...(DH3-91)

D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015280-s.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	129092  
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 5:43 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Phantastrons and high voltage valves

You need a pentode with all three grids available, rather than one in which g3 is internally connected to the cathode.

Something like an EF50, which would be rather historically appropriate - should survive +300V on the anode even though _officially_ it's only rated for 250.
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 6:17 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

ECL80?

Lawrence.
Old 23rd Aug 2016, 9:44 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Dom, most of the classical work on this type of oscillator was by OS Puckle of timebase fame.
Also Parr & Davie "The cathode ray tube and its applications"

Ed
Old 24th Aug 2016, 10:31 am   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks lads,

I was hoping for something small that would take >1000V on its anode but not be expensive, mainly to allow DC coupling of the deflection plates without having to have the cathode floating at -500V or split heater supplies.

Thanks Ed for the pointers, I've just treated myself to those two books and the missing three volumes of Amos and Brikinshaw...should give me something to read while all my toys are packed away!

D
Old 25th Aug 2016, 8:38 am   #6
ionburn
Heptode

Perhaps not small signal but would something like an EL81 work? They seem to be readily available.
Old 25th Aug 2016, 11:17 am   #7
dominicbeesley
Octode

Good idea, I might have a look through my box of telly valves to see if I have a line output pentode. I'd still be over its rated 550V but under it's pulse limit of 7,000V. Not sure how linear it will be near cut-off but it should be possible to use quite a bit of cathode degeneration...only down side is that it will eat a huge amount of current.

D
Closed Thread