UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2016, 11:41 am   #1
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Types of ferrite suitable for 30MHz toroid

What type of ferrite toroid do I need for a small tuned 10-30MHz RF transformer? I haven't a clue about the material codes they use.
Old 7th Aug 2016, 6:52 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Types of ferrite suitable for 30MHz toroid

Visit the amidon website where they have some excellent documentation on all their ferrite and dust iro products - an invaluable resource for anyone using (or contemplating) torroids.

I'd post a direct link but can't work out how on this tablet!
Old 7th Aug 2016, 7:25 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Sue, there are also similar tables in the Magnetics and Fairite web pages.
I believe I also saw some useful data in the Jaycar cat.

Ed
Old 7th Aug 2016, 7:45 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

For an UNtuned transformer at 30MHz, I'd use Fair-Rite (==Amidon) FT43 material, but for a TUNED transformer I'd avoid ferrite as dust-iron offers better stability and Q

Amidon buy their ferrite cores from Fair-Rite inc. of Wallkill, Noo Joisy, and their dust iron cores from Micrometals inc. of Anaheim California. Mix-2 (painted red) or mix-6 (yellow) should do you most probably.

David
Old 7th Aug 2016, 7:47 pm   #5

Why a toroid? A 'normal' coil !(or two) would do.

Old 7th Aug 2016, 8:41 pm   #6
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

'Normal' coils can couple quite well to their surroundings. This is not always wanted.
Old 7th Aug 2016, 10:19 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

If you want low external field, or low pick-up FROM an external field, I'd use a toroid made from almost any low-frequency material. Ferroxcube 3C90 or 3F3 come to mind; Siemens (Epcos) N30, N47 likewise. And consider the transformer untuned.

As Radio Wrangler says, ferrite has lousy stability. Q may not be very high, but losses will be pretty low at 30MHz because the operating flux density will be very low.

Then, in parallel with the primary of your untuned transformer, connect a stable, screened, high-Q coil of the inductance you want. As long as the inductance of the transformer is much higher than needed (and it won't take many turns to make this true), the external inductance will dominate and the exact inductance of the transformer will hardly matter.
Old 8th Aug 2016, 4:50 am   #8
suebutcher
Heptode

I'm going for a toroid because that's what's specified for the circuit. It's the EA160, a budget SSB HF receiver project published in Electronics Australia in 1970, and I suppose toroids for RF tuning saved space and money. It's one of those radios I built with my Dad that didn't work, and I'm curious to know why. I know that's crazy, but I love electrical puzzles.
Old 8th Aug 2016, 7:53 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

It's not crazy at all. I think it's laudable curiosity.

In the middle sixties I built a Lasky's 'Skyrover 6' transistor portable with 5 shortwave bands on it. Performance was completely underwhelming. At home, only a few miles from the transmitters, main broadcast stations on medium wave were just discernible. Disgusted, I set out to learn how to design a better one. I'd still like to know what was wrong with that thing. Unfortunately, at the time, I knew no-one with the knowledge to help. It got boiled-down for parts.

David
Old 8th Aug 2016, 12:31 pm   #10
suebutcher
Heptode

Same kind of disappointment here, except our two big radio construction failures got passed on for other people to try, and I gave up on radio completely for a while.

BTW, the part list says "Q2" as the type of ferrite, made by Ducon (Plessey). Is that actually a ferrite or iron dust material?
Old 8th Aug 2016, 3:33 pm   #11

If you know the number of turns, the frequency and capacitance then the inductance can be worked out. Using that the inductance per turn (squared) can be calculated (called Al or aL or the like). Then find a core with something similar.

Old 9th Aug 2016, 12:50 am   #12
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Sue,

Try www.toroids.info
I've always found this a very useful resource for both identifying
suitable toroids, and calculating the number of turns required.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 9th Aug 2016, 3:39 am   #13
suebutcher
Heptode

Ta very much. Should be OK now. There are so many different types of ferrite, it's possible that the original radio failed because we bought RFI toroids instead of low loss RF toroids. They all looked the same in those days. BTW, Q2 ferrite material is the same as Neosid F25.
Old 9th Aug 2016, 6:33 am   #14
Radio Wrangler

For any particular ferrite, the frequency range can be divided up into bands for different applications.

At low frequencies a material simply doesn't have high enough permeability to easily make the amount of inductance needed to make useful impedances. So it isn't much use.

At higher frequencies, it's easier to make useful inductors and the Q is good. Usually cores for inductors are gapped and it's the air gap which sets the aL value. The ferrite is behaving as a low-loss magnetic conductor.

At higher frequencies comfortable numbers of turns make enough inductance for rather high impedances and the core is starting to get lossy. The Q of any inductor is starting to get too low for making resonators of good enough quality. But used as a transformer the lossiness of the core still gibes a useful efficiency and the inductance values are good for transformers. (This means conventional, untuned transformers. Tuned transformers are really resonated inductors with some magnetic coupling)

Finally, at higher-still frequencies, the core losses have grown large. Inductors would have trivial Q, transformers would be too lossy, but that lossiness is still useful, the ferrite is now an absorber. It makes good anti-emc cores.

These bands of applications don't have abrupt boundaries, there is a lot of overlap depending on individual applications. Different materials have the boundaries at different frequencies.

FT43 for example, makes good inductors up to hundreds of kHz though it isn't usually made in gapped cores. It makes good transformers (untuned) to 30 MHz, but by 100MHz losses make it into a good anti-EMC material.

David
Old 10th Aug 2016, 6:02 am   #15
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

The cross for Neosid F25 is Fair Rite 67 material.

Cross reference table here:

http://palomar-engineers.com/ferrite...ross-reference

Terry VK5TM
Closed Thread