UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2020, 11:12 pm   #1
clockman
Pentode

Default Ultra coronation twin R786 1953

This new post is to update the results on my work on the vintage valve radio i paid £30 for and not working. Work done! i have replaced the main electrolytic 50+50 Mfd with a direct replacement from China cost £9 and the small 50+50 Mfd Cap also C23 0.1Mfd 300v ac i replaced MR1 with HT diode type 1N5408 and a 5W 150 ohm resistor. This radio luckily has had no work done on it so all the parts are original and in good condition including the speaker and OP tx . i found the reason it was not working valve 3 1FD9 the B7G base was totally duff so i replaced it with a new McMurdo one and it sprung into life all the voltages are spot on as checked with my Avo 8 .I have made a replacement plug in mains lead with Standard 3 Pin plug with 3 Amp fuse having disabled the battery option This fits in the stowage compartment i cleaned the wave change switch with buds dipped in brasso and switch cleaner.The reception on LW&MW is excellent now and having putt it all back in its case i find a polish with beeswax brings up a lovely shine to the case. and it looks and sounds great in my lounge along side my clocks. PS the cost was small but the man hours were huge
Old 13th Aug 2020, 12:45 pm   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Ultra coronation twin R786 1953

Nice radio, one of these was used in the excellent Alistair Sim black comedy film "The Green man."
He concealed a bomb in it.......I'm sure your set is perfectly innocent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	213373  
Old 13th Aug 2020, 7:48 pm   #3
clockman
Pentode

You must be a film buff like me as my Ultra radio was a main prop in most Ealing studios films and comedies like in Fred Kite's front room I have been spotting it for years I am also a spotter of Sam Kidd?
Old 19th Aug 2020, 9:17 am   #4
HowardB
Pentode

Hi Clockman,

Quote:
I have made a replacement plug in mains lead with Standard 3 Pin plug with 3 Amp fuse having disabled the battery option This fits in the stowage compartment
How did you manage this - can we see a photo?

Thanks,
HowardB
Old 19th Aug 2020, 11:14 am   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

We were watching this film the other day and wondered if the Ultras were in the film by some special arrangement, although if so, they left it a bit late for promotional reasons!
Old 19th Aug 2020, 10:40 pm   #6
clockman
Pentode

Re promotion of the Ultra radio there is one in Hue & Cry made in 1949 their first model. a lovely film showing London after the war.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 9:42 pm   #7
clockman
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardB View Post
Hi Clockman,

Quote:
I have made a replacement plug in mains lead with Standard 3 Pin plug with 3 Amp fuse having disabled the battery option This fits in the stowage compartment
How did you manage this - can we see a photo?

Thanks,
HowardB
I have taken photos but do not know how to put them on the site for you
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 10:29 pm   #8
Cobaltblue

Hi Clockman

Useful guide to adding pictures here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread