UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2020, 1:01 pm   #1
Mach One
Heptode

Default Removing Damaged RF Coil "Slugs"

I have been attempting to line up the RF coils of a Grundig Concert Boy 1100. When I got to one coil, the ferrite core split as I was attempting to adjust it. It is now impossible - for now at least - to remove it and replace it (I have spares...).

Does anyone have a good work around given how fragile these little coils and their formers are?
Old 17th Jul 2020, 1:50 pm   #2
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Removing Damaged RF Coil "Slugs"

A hot air gun applied with discretion usually frees Grundig RF coils, which generally seem to be locked with wax. Heating a screwdriver blade with a soldering iron is another approach. Care is needed - although the cores will usually withstand heat, low loss polystyrene formers will not.

Leon.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 4:08 pm   #3
Mach One
Heptode

Two picture attached - for interest.

First one taken with an iPhone and the second one with a DSLR. As you can see I have had a go...

I have a spare core or two in an identical but faulty chassis - I was just looking at a much more sure way of swapping the bad ones out and the good ones in.

Do they go more crumbly with age?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Concert Boy 1100 a.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	211192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Concert Boy 1100 b.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	211193  
Old 18th Jul 2020, 10:41 am   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

I bet it's not far out of alignment , either leave it as is , or drill a small hole and glue a small screw filed down to a rectangle so it so it grip's ,I have done this using super glue , best of luck Mick.
Old 18th Jul 2020, 2:05 pm   #5
Leon Crampin
Octode

Take your time freeing the core from your spare set - hot air, solvent, curses etc. When free, swap the coils over.

Leon.
Old 18th Jul 2020, 2:52 pm   #6
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

If it hasn't split and wedged itself into the threaded sides, I've had success using a Dremel-type mini drill and waggled a 1mm drill bit side-to side to cut a small slot in the top. If the above suggested releasing techniques work it should then unscrew.

As a general rule, if you don't have spares and the core is intact there's usually another slot at the other end.
Old 18th Jul 2020, 9:01 pm   #7
Goldieoldie
Octode

If the crack is clean try a tiny tiny drop of super glue to stick the core back together
Don’t use too much of you might glue the core to the former !
Then use a soldering iron on the core to soften the wax but not too much or you will melt the former if it’s plastic
IPA can also help to free slugs
Closed Thread