UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2020, 10:21 am   #1
lpotter
Diode

Default Akai X-5000W

Hello, I've just been given this reel to reel, but for some reason the power cable has been cut off right near the source. Is it possible to remedy this, and where would I source the right sort of power cable?
Old 12th Jun 2020, 2:56 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai X-5000W

Web photo for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X-5000W.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	208339  
Old 12th Jun 2020, 3:23 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes it is possible to fix the cut off cable. The normal thing to do would be to take the case off the machine and replace the entire length of cable, connecting the new cable to the places inside the machine that the cut off end is connected to. This will probably involve soldering the wires in place, are you able to do that?

The original cable seems to be 2 core. Some people like to replace it with a 3 core cable, the earth wire being connected to the metal chassis of the tape recorder. This is safer, but may cause hum if you connect the recorder to an amplifier or similar that is itself also earthed.

As for suitable cable, a tape recorder will not draw much current from the mains. I would think any mains-rated cable would be suitable, for example the cable used for table lamps (2 core) or small electical appliances (3 core). Cable rated at 3A should be thick enough, cable rated at 6A is certainly thick enough. I can't recomend a supplier as I use enough of it to normally buy 50m or 100m reels of such things, which is far more than you would need.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:04 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

A nice looking Akai, not familiar with this model.

Yes agree with Tony a fairly straight forward job, especially for someone electrically competent.

I would recommend fitting a 3 core cable and connecting the earth at each end, I would say would be very unlucky if this causes any hum issues.

Only slightly difficult bit is the hard rubber strain relief grommet that the cable goes through (and secures the cable tightly) where it enters the chassis panel metalwork, these in my experience are extremely difficult to remove (without damaging them) and even if the cable and strain relief grommet are removed, then even more difficult to refit (even a new grommet) especially if the cable is larger diameter (without a special insertion tool).

Workaround then is to just use a normal chassis cable grommet.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:08 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

You may need to replace that grommet (strain relief bush) if the new cable is different to the old (e.g if you are fitting a round 3 core cable in place of a flat 2 core one).

I agree they can be a pain to remove and fit, particularly if you don't have good access to the inside of the panel it's in. I don't have the special tool, I use a small pair of 'water pump pliers'.
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:16 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Agreed but we don't know if the OP understands any of that, or anything else, yet My guess is that the cable may have been "cut short" because it came from a source not "allowed" to sell untested electrical items. It's very annoying when they do that, especially as there is no standard approach. Some places just clip off the plug which makes more sense

Dave W
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:24 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Seems to be getting more common with internet sellers cutting the mains plug/cable off, often where it enters the chassis.

I think sometimes sellers do it so that they can claim that they do not know its operating condition, rather than be honest and admit there are operational problems.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 12th Jun 2020 at 4:41 pm. Reason: Update
Old 12th Jun 2020, 4:57 pm   #8
Restoration73
Nonode

The mains cable has been removed as it is Figure-8 single insulated, which no longer
complies with current safety standards, i.e. double insulated with sheath.

The correct cable is fitted to later models when safety requirements became recognised.
Closed Thread