UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2020, 7:19 pm   #1
buggies
Heptode

Default Akai GXC-325D

I decided to test my GXC-325D cassette recorder as it has been sitting unused for a decade or so.
It played a few old commercial tapes without any problem so just needed to check it was recording properly. First find a source with a line output that both worked and was the correct level. (Pause for diversion to repair the Goodmans portable CD player - duff cap - and then the intermittent ESR meter - crap IC socket).
Eventually used signal generator at the right 0.775V level and an unused Memorex C60 - which the machine promptly chewed.
I have searched for the model number but nothing found in this forum.
I took it apart and used IPA on the pinch rollers and takeup pulleys and it has been ok so far - anything else need doing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325_pause.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	208034   Click image for larger version

Name:	325_top.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	208035   Click image for larger version

Name:	325_wheel.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	208036   Click image for larger version

Name:	325_heads.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	208037   Click image for larger version

Name:	325_guts.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	208038  

Old 9th Jun 2020, 8:27 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai GXC-325D

I would give the heads and tape guides, anything in fact in the tape path, a good clean with IPA.

Also visibly check the mechanical mechanisms for any stiff operations, cleaning and re-lubing if required.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 11:53 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Those pinch rollers look shiny and a bit barrel shaped, they're almost certainly shot and will crinkle tapes.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 12:27 pm   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

This is a dual capstan machine which is good but makes it a little more complicated. The left capstan should run a little slower than the right. When that situation is reversed, tape damage is likely.

A nice machine but being that old, pretty much everything which has a bearing in it probably should have the old grease or oil cleaned out and replaced. The pinch rollers can drag when the lubricant dries out. Both reel tensions in play should be checked as per the service manual. Wrong tensions can lead to tape damage.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 2:20 pm   #5
buggies
Heptode

Thanks for the pointers gentlemen. I took the top off again today and did a bit more cleaning with IPA. The grease seems (to me) to be ok - I can smear it with my finger. All the controls work and latch as required.
The rollers were shiny (well spotted). I think they have rounded corners rather than swollen in the middle. Wiping them with IPA on a cloth seems to just give black cloth for ever (see pic) - rather than brown tape deposit.
I have found no trace of a service manual (unless there is a similar model number) so feel I cannot take this any further. It will probably go back in its original packing box in the loft for my executor to deal with later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	208187  
Old 10th Jun 2020, 4:55 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

You could try giving the rollers a once-over with fine sandpaper to remove the glazed surface. Retry with a rewound c90 (thin tape) - if it plays okay, then you've likely solved it.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 6:41 pm   #7
Whaam68
Hexode

New rollers are available for this model from a guy in Germany on eBay but they are not cheap!
Mike
Old 10th Jun 2020, 7:09 pm   #8
Michael Maurice

I would persevere with this if it was mine, the chewing of the tape could be due to a faulty cassette.

I would fit new belts and pinch rollers after I have checked the torque of the T/U reel in play.

Seems like a nice machine in very good condition.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 10th Jun 2020, 10:19 pm   #9
buggies
Heptode

Just a quick note.
The machine has not had a lot of use - mainly recording some LPs which were on loan to me at the time.
I won't be spending any money on it as have no real use at the moment.

The tape that failed was brand new blank and I noticed that the takeup spool was hesitating and not winding tightly. The tape finished up wrapped round the take up pulley.
I will try some sandpaper tomorrow and see what happens with a new (old) C90 blank.
Old 11th Jun 2020, 12:06 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

Most likely the rubber idler driving the take up spool is also shiny - same applies as to pinch roller. Some spool tables of that era also had a rubber rim.

You can easily repair a tape that has tangled at the start, simply cut out the damaged section (first 2 mins or whatever) and splice it back to the leader.
Old 11th Jun 2020, 9:08 am   #11
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
...and I noticed that the takeup spool was hesitating and not winding tightly.
That's important information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
The tape finished up wrapped round the take up pulley.
No surprise there!
Old 11th Jun 2020, 7:16 pm   #12
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
That's important information.
I know - always remember after hitting send...

Pulleys and pinch rollers sanded and re-cleaned and four C90s played today - nice listening to music I had forgotten.

Thanks to all for the assistance - still not sure what will happen to the unit but I can honestly say it is in reasonable working order (today!)