UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2014, 1:26 pm   #1
Potless
Tetrode

Default Value of safety resistor for TEAC Tascam 388 capstan motor

Hi everyone,
A quick post on the off-chance that somebody may know the answer to this small but irritating problem!

We have in for repair a TEAC Tascam 388 Studio 8 reel to reel recorder. The original fault was non-operation of the capstan motor, and a burning smell coming from the Motherboard 2 PCB - this has since been rectified (the capstan bearing was pushing too hard against the thrust plate, so the capstan was as stiff as an old boot, causing a series resistor in the 35V supply to the motor to burn out).

Problem is, the resistor is not shown on the PCB layout or circuit diagrams, and its value bands have completely burnt off - we measured its resistance at about 47 ohms, but what should its true value be?

As usual, any help would be appreciated....
Old 6th Jun 2014, 4:55 pm   #2
j.harv38
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Value of safety resistor for TEAC Tascam 388 capstan motor

It should be on the diagram. I see it on mine,that is if Im looking at the one you're talking about. It's listed as R3. It is a 47k metal resistor,no flame.

I had to actually replace this resistor on mine. It was burnt. It does lead to the capstans ability to spin.
Old 6th Jun 2014, 6:56 pm   #3
ITAM805
Nonode

hi Potless (my middle name) the service manual might be of help
Old 7th Jun 2014, 12:28 pm   #4
Potless
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.harv38 View Post
It should be on the diagram. I see it on mine,that is if Im looking at the one you're talking about. It's listed as R3. It is a 47k metal resistor,no flame
Strangely, my burnt resistor is located in a position where a wire link V4 should be (or is it W4, hard to see on the drawing), just to the left of connector P1 on the Mother (2) pcb.

I don't think it's R3, as that goes to the meter circuits via connector P1.

Maybe the resistor was added as a mod, some time after the circuit diagram was published?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
hi Potless (my middle name) the service manual might be of help
Thanks a lot for that, it is a bit clearer than the copy I have!
Old 7th Jun 2014, 3:22 pm   #5
j.harv38
Retired Dormant Member

Ok.
I am for sure certain it is a 47k metal resistor. Its probably not where I originally thought it was on the diagram. I'm looking at an old photocopy of the manual. I do have the original service manual kicking around,but I can't find it. There is a wire link on some 388s and on others there aren't. I own 3 of them! Only one has a plastic sort of holder for a larger resistor.The other 2 388s have a small resistor on the bottom right corner of the mother PCB 2. If I can find my original manual, I'll try to get a pic up. The resistor is shown on the original manual and not on my copy.
Old 9th Jun 2014, 9:15 am   #6
Potless
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.harv38 View Post
The other 2 388s have a small resistor on the bottom right corner of the mother PCB 2. If I can find my original manual, I'll try to get a pic up. The resistor is shown on the original manual and not on my copy.
The small resistor at the bottom right hand corner of the mother PCB 2 is the one I am after! (it's not shown anywhere in the two copies of the manual I have).
Old 9th Jun 2014, 1:00 pm   #7
peter_sol
Octode

I think 47K would be too high 47 ohms fusible is a typical value for something of that sort.
Old 10th Jun 2014, 5:30 am   #8
ricard
Octode

Just my two cents worth:

With a supply of 35V, a 47k resistor would have a short-circuit current of less than a milliamp, resulting in a power dissipation of 25 milliwatts. That's hardly enough to generate any noticeable heat, not to mention the fact that a milliamp is far too little to power a motor in series.

With a 47 ohm resistor on the other hand, 35 volts yields about 0.75 A, and the resulting power dissipation would be over 25 watts which is definitely enough to overheat a small enough resistor.

So as a series resistor my bet would be 47R rather than 47k, simply because the circuit would not work as intended with the latter, nor would a short circuit in the motor cause any damage to the resistor.
Old 11th Jun 2014, 11:23 am   #9
Potless
Tetrode

47 ohms would seem to be about right then - I'll try a replacement of the correct type, and see how things go.

Thanks to everyone who helped out - it is greatly appreciated!
Closed Thread