UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2014, 9:57 am   #1
john116
Pentode

Default Tandberg Series 12 reel to reel power amp question

Hi - does anyone know which power amp circuit board is the LH channel? The service manual doesn't show which is which. I could work it out by tracing the speaker wires I guess, but thought someone on here might know.

Many thanks,

John
Old 20th May 2014, 10:30 am   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Tandberg Series 12 reel to reel power amp question

From memory only, the Left ch. is the one nearest to the side of the cabinet. Easy way to locate, remove the red wire (27v)from pin 10 on either amp. that amp will be dead .

Colin.
Old 20th May 2014, 1:02 pm   #3
john116
Pentode

Colin - many thanks. Will try that.

John
Old 21st May 2014, 1:27 pm   #4
john116
Pentode

Colin - you're right. Board nearest to the side of the case is the left channel. I've de-earthed the AC127 and AC128 transistors, and the left channel power amp is working again.
Old 21st May 2014, 5:51 pm   #5
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Glad you found it John, the AC 128 is notorious at the best of times.

Cheers.

Colin.
Old 22nd May 2014, 7:54 am   #6
ricard
Octode

Sounds like the classic tin whiskers problem then? You can probably 'zap' the transistor (there's a sticky thread in the Components forum section on how to do this) which will break the connection between the case and whatever electrode is short-circuiting. I've done that a couple of times with model 12 driver stages to good effect. Does require to remove the transistor to do the job though which is not fun given that those 12 power amp boards are a beast to dismantle in order to get at the solder tracks. Not one of Tandberg's great moments...
Old 22nd May 2014, 9:30 am   #7
john116
Pentode

Ricard, I'll do that if the transistor(s) fail again. For the moment, de-earthing them worked.

I agree -those two power amp boards are a pain to remove, then once you've got through that hurdle, you have to remove the power transistors to remove the large heatsink metal plate, to finally get to the soldered connections. Did it once many years ago on another machine, prefer not to have to do it again.

J
Closed Thread