UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2006, 10:24 pm   #1
Superhet Si
Pentode

Default PP9's cheap

PP9's being sold at your local TLC Wholesaler for £1.95 +VAT
There the panansonic jobs, so they should be OK.
Old 26th Jul 2006, 10:41 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: PP9's cheap

I also noticed Spanish (?) PP9s in B&Q for £2.38 (inc. VAT) yesterday
Old 26th Jul 2006, 11:00 pm   #3
GJR 11L
Heptode

Excellent stuff chaps, let's hope ASDA drop their prices again, theirs were £3.18 yesterday for the red Ever Ready ones with metal outer casing. I had thought these obsolete, but they were dated well into 2009!
Old 27th Jul 2006, 3:35 pm   #4
Eric_Harvie
Triode

Just bought some PP9's from B&Q, 5 in fact, going by the brand name of Cegusa. I've had to take 3 of them back with terminals that fell off as I removed the clear plastic wrapper. Very sad. These ones cost £2.24. Hopefully it's only a one-off. Never saw any in Asda.
Old 27th Jul 2006, 9:54 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Harvie
Just bought some PP9's from B&Q, 5 in fact, going by the brand name of Cegusa. I've had to take 3 of them back with terminals that fell off as I removed the clear plastic wrapper. Very sad. These ones cost £2.24. Hopefully it's only a one-off. Never saw any in Asda.
I bought a Cegusa PP9 from B&Q and it was completely flat Avoid them like the plague!

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Jul 2006, 10:08 pm   #6
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Quote:
I bought a Cegusa PP9 from B&Q and it was completely flat Avoid them like the plague!
I agree! The ones I bought didn't last long. They are much lighter in weight than Eveready ones.
Old 28th Jul 2006, 2:59 pm   #7
GJR 11L
Heptode

Thought I'd try these cheapies for myself by way of an experiment, judging by the way they discharged when I drop tested them the cells inside must be of sub-AAA proportions..

However, good old Messrs Block and Quail exchanged that pair without question (might have neglected to mention my high-rate discharge test as that could have scuppered the chances of replacements being issued ) and I presently have two in the Sovereign that are still looking ok on the meter and work up to a point but cannot withstand having anything more than a current of some 42mA taken out of them for more than a half hour or so at a time.
AAAs? Make that CMOS cells!

I phoned them though, and they have promised to replace these with their slightly dearer Varta ones, strange as they weren't on the display when I went looking initially......