UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2014, 2:12 pm   #1
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N4407

Hello, working on yet another Philips N4407.
I'm noticing that the diodes that form the bridge rectifier aren't the ones that are on the schematic.
It says they should be 4 BY122 type then 2 BA148 later down stream, and 2 upstream. This machine also has the BA148 ones as the 4 for the bridge rectifier as well, so I'm just wondering are these the correct type and value? anyone help please? thanks.
Old 30th May 2014, 6:14 am   #2
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Philips N4407

In general one would have thought that a small-signal diode from the BA series would not be a reasonable substitute for a rectifier diode (BY series). Looking at the data sheets though, the BA148 seems specified at a maximum forward current drop of 0.3A and the BY122 bridge at 0.6A, so these particular two are at least in the same ballpark.

Note: it seems the BY122 is actually a complete rectifier bridge rather than a single diode.

I found schematics for the N4407 on this page, which at least specifies 4x BA148 for the rectifier bridge.

My guess would be that either the BA148 was originally specified but was found to be used too close to or over its specification and replaced for that reason, or alternatively that the BY122 was originally specified but that the BA148 was cheaper and sufficiently reliable for this application. One would have to look in a complete service manual with change notes to see what was in fact the case.

Last edited by ricard; 30th May 2014 at 6:29 am.
Old 30th May 2014, 9:50 am   #3
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips N4407

Thanks for that ricard.
Closed Thread