UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2014, 11:14 pm   #1
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Teac runs slow.

My newly acquired Teac 2300SX, which is in spotless condition runs slow on both speeds. I've oiled the motors and cleaned the belt, pulley and capstan drum. Apart from ordering a new drive belt I'm stuffed nothing seems to be binding. I'm just wondering about that belt, there's a fair bit of slack at the longest run of it. Any suggestions please? Motor doesn't seem to be overheating, all caps look in good order.

Thank you.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:18 am   #2
teetoon
Heptode

Default Re: Teac runs slow.

Hi, I have the same model here and I see in the manual that there are 2 steps on the motor pulley for mains frequency. The upper most is the 50hz step. Check that your belt is not on the lower 60hz step as this would make it slow on both speeds.

Further to that, there is also a switch located next to the capstan motor. Check that is set to 50Hz.

David.

Last edited by teetoon; 14th May 2014 at 12:28 am.
Old 14th May 2014, 8:26 am   #3
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Hello, first thing I did, it had been josseled in transit. Thanks.
Old 14th May 2014, 11:36 am   #4
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Teac runs slow.

Change the belt - drive belts are not expensive.

Al.
Old 14th May 2014, 12:40 pm   #5
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Yep, new belt on order.
Old 16th May 2014, 8:39 am   #6
Chiltern
Heptode

I have a Teac A-2300S, on a couple of occasions it has run a little slow, each time solved by lubricating the capstan shaft/bearing.

Cautious about over oiling I've probably been a little too sparing in the past.

Alan
Old 16th May 2014, 8:13 pm   #7
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Yes thanks, done that.
Old 17th May 2014, 1:13 pm   #8
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Maybe the motor has been got at by someone before you? iI had a record deck motor that ran slow due to its rotor being off centre to the stator armature, this was a shaded pole motor though.
Old 17th May 2014, 1:29 pm   #9
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Yes thanks Jimmy, it's possible, I'll wait till the belt arrives then investigate further.
Old 23rd May 2014, 11:36 am   #10
akaigxfan
Retired Dormant Member

Well, what a chump I feel, the new belt arrived and on turning the machine upside down on the bench with the bottom panel and back removed I LOOKED at the pulley to SEE the correct portion of it which the belt was not on! After slipping it over, away it went at the correct speed and sound is great! I wasn't seeing this before as I was looking at it from the back and the panel goes over and around the pulley concealing it partially.

Thanks guys well at least it now has a new belt on it, all the switches cleaned, motors lubed up and a good clean inside too. What a good sounding machine these are too, there's a Service Sound sticker on the back too dated 2004 so it's had expert attention too fairly recently.

Please close this thread. Thanks again.
Closed Thread