UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2012, 3:29 pm   #1
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Default AVO Lettering

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I have found a rather quick and effective way of re-doing the lettering on Avometers using a pen type applicator full of correction fluid, bought from here. I found it won't come off using water you have to use IPA to remove any excess, I know it's not the traditional way, but it's quick and easy, and cheap.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lettering.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	69804  
Old 16th Aug 2012, 4:08 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: AVO Lettering

Looks a great job.
Old 16th Aug 2012, 5:28 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hi Paul,

This definitely sounds easier than chinagraph pencil, and looks really good. Thanks for the tip.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 16th Aug 2012, 8:12 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Sorry! Thank You also.
Old 16th Aug 2012, 10:39 pm   #5
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Very good idea, thanks. Looks as if these are available in the USA under the Presto name, I'll get one and see how it works on my AVO.
Old 17th Aug 2012, 8:13 am   #6
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

What a good idea, thanks. Years ago I used the conventional Tippex with a brush applicator to re-do a vintage dial but this looks to be a whole lot easier. Ian
Old 19th Aug 2012, 8:23 pm   #7
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Sorry to say that my attempt failed. I found some Bic correction fluid which had a fine tip similar to Tippex, but the stuff came off on my finger tip after leaving it for at least 24 hours.
Back to the drawing board
Old 19th Aug 2012, 10:56 pm   #8
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

David,
The stuff that I bought from HERE is resilient to even a dishwasher, as I tried it on an old engraved piece of bakelite which needed a bit of thorough cleaning, so popped it in the dishwasher and the stuff that I used was still on when it came out of the dishwasher.

Don't think that this is actually 'Tipex', as there is no actual chemical formulation on the product packaging, and it's not called 'Tipex' and it won't rub off, and it seems to be water resistant.

Hope this helps.

Paul.
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 9:08 pm   #9
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I've been doing a little footwork and found an Arts & Crafts shop that has "Paint Pens". They come in various colours and have a felt tip. The paint is acrylic and needs IPA for cleanup.

I tested it on one of the AVOmeter Knob pointers and it works quite well , except the felt tip is a little too thick and I had to scratch off some of the paint afterwards. I will try it on the lettering next to see how it works.

I have been wondering how to spruce up the lettering, and the idea I had was to use some model enamel paint with a fine tip brush, but it looks as if it will be quite a job.

How did they do the lettering originally anyway, did they use a small pad saturated with paint and run it across the engraving?. This was another option I was considering.
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 9:49 pm   #10
Alistair D
Nonode

David,
I have had a good deal of success using tins of model makers enamel/acrylic paint. Apply the paint using a needle or cocktail stick. Try not to apply to much. The pointed applicator is better in this respect than a brush.

Make a squeegee by cutting a slice from a modern pencil eraser. Wipe the squeegee over the lettering. Do not worry if you leave a very thin trace of paint on the surface. Leave the paint a day or so to dry. Put the smallest amount of I.P.A. on a cotton bud and very lightly rub it on the smears to clean off the excess paint. The knack with this method is getting any excess paint away from the required lettering so you are not applying the solvent on the characters.

The two drawbacks of this method are that it takes a day or two to complete and that the paint sinks into the character a little as the paint solvents dry off.

I have tried paint pens as well but my method produces much brighter results as the paint produces a gloss finish. The paint pens I have tried seem seem to be matt finish which might dirty more quickly.

Al
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 9:08 pm   #11
MrElectronicman
Heptode

Alistair,
Thanks for the idea of the pencil eraser, I'll try it, the paint pen is too messy. I have some matt finish paint and it looks like the original paint was also matt, but I think you are right, gloss would be better.

Good thing I'm retired so I do not mind waiting a day or two, so off to the shop again

I have an old non-working AVO which I am keeping for spares, I am going to use that to test the lettering first
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 9:15 pm   #12
Alistair D
Nonode

I have also had great success re-painting the white line on Bulgin chicken head knobs. The last job was 22 of them on a 6 channel mixer amplifier.

Another point regarding my painting method is that if you do not want to use solvent to remove the smears is that it would also be possible to polish them off using metal polish or paint cutting compound.

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 23rd Aug 2012 at 9:25 pm. Reason: Added new paragraph
Old 31st Aug 2012, 1:49 pm   #13
Silicon
Nonode

I have a Muirhead Universal Bridge which has shiny plastic knobs which might be made of polycarbonate, ABS, etc.

Would there be any advantage in applying a primer to the engraved text before finishing with a gloss paint?
Old 31st Aug 2012, 3:28 pm   #14
Alistair D
Nonode

I am not sure. I have tidied up the knobs on a few Telequipment scopes with knobs that are probably made of similar materials. None of the paint has come out of the grooves and that is without primer. There did not seem to be any primer on the residue I scraped of the knobs unless it was the same colour as the paint.

Primer might be a good idea as I usually find that the original paint does crack and fall out of knobs made of 'softer' plastic more easily than say bakelite. I guess you would have to try both with and without to see which is better.

One final thought. The paint possibly cracks out of the plastic knobs more easily due to the plastic surface being too smooth. maybe roughing the surface of the groove a little would give the paint a better grip.

Al
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 11:55 pm   #15
gilmour94
Triode

GREAT idea, my meter looks like new. Thanks Paul.

Regards,
Andy.
Closed Thread