UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2018, 6:37 pm   #1
REILLY PATRICK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Clansman PRC320 unstable.

Hello.

I am new to this forum. I just got 2 weeks ago a PRC320 for the one i already install the LSB kit which fonction correctly but i discovered a problem the rig is already instable in frequency, does the lsb kit must be shielded or the problem coming from the slave oscilator or maybe the synthetiser ?
any suggestions will be appriciated.

my best regards

Reilly Patrick
F6FCM

PS: test has been made with regulated 28v power supply
same symptom with battery
Old 7th Nov 2018, 7:38 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Clansman PRC320 unstable.

There are 2 common causes of instability [frequency-scintillation] of the PRC320.

One: the contacts on the rotating band-selector can become tarnished. Rotate the band-selector knob clockwise through several complete rotations and it can help remove the tarnish.

Two: There are several tantalum capacitiors in "module 5" the power-supply. These are rated at 130V and are operated at 125V. They become leaky and cause the +120V synthesizer/VCO control-voltage to wobble slightly. Replace them with modern 160V electrolytics.

See here: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsle.../prc320psu.pdf
Old 8th Nov 2018, 4:31 am   #3
M3VUV51
Banned

theres also tants in the synth go leaky,and you dont need to shield the lsb carrier insertion oscillator.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 4:34 am   #4
M3VUV51
Banned

its a small world the article you linked in vmars was written by a personal friend of mine colin g4ddi,theres not a lot he doesent know about all things clansman.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 9:34 am   #5
ex seismic
Heptode

Rotate the band-selector knob clockwise..........

And only turn it clockwise if you want to preserve the contacts in it.

gmb
Closed Thread